Boot failures

zhopps

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
So I have a X58A-UD3R that I just got back for bent pins (bought it this way). I hook everything up and works ok for for about half a hour. Then it would randomly freeze and I have to restart it. This is my first build (also in progress) so I knew I would run into problems. So after this happens a couple of times, I take out everything, clean it, and put everything back in. Now it fails to boot completely. The CPU and North Bridge LEDs light up then the SB's lights flash red, meaning a over voltage. I did not change any hardware, so I don't know why I'm getting this problem. My PSU has all the connectors I need, but on the ATX connector there is one cord that is missing, the manual for the Mobo says it relates to a ground cable. Do I need this ground cable for it to stop? And if this was the problem, why did it boot before?

UA-X58A-UD3R Gigabyte Mobo
Intel i7-920
1 X 4 Gb of Corsair Vengeance
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w
Cooler Master HAF-X
Pioneer SATA CD/DVD player/burner
80 Gb IDE HDD (will upgrade VERY soon)
Windows XP x32 (will also upgrade VERY soon)
Nvidia GTX 570

Note: I am unable to install my GPU's drivers since XP is not x64. However, this is irrelevant since this is not the problem.
I will also be borrowing a friends extra PSU to see if it is the problem.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You know if you took the time to read the manual you would understand why the computer is not booting with the lights on giving an error.

From the manual:

If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure
to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3.

And you have 1 x4gb memory stick.
Now may I ask exactly what slot the memory is indeed in now ? Stopping the board from booting.
As it was working before the strip down.

As the likely cause is it is not in one of the slots listed, and has been moved by yourself, to another slot.

Have a quick check. I bet me life it is not in one of the memory slots it dictates the memory stick must be placed in.

And you just thought it would work in any of the slots. Let me know. If it was the problem.

All the best.

zhopps

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Ram is installed correctly and I have read the manual before, during , and after I got the hardware. As it turns out, They did not ship me back the right Mobo. I had a Rev. 2 and they sent me back a Rev. 1. The seral numbers don't match up either. I still want to know if the PSU's lack of ground wire in the ATX cable portion is problem.

most new atx power supply do have one missing pin as it not used any more. if your case is plastic it the mb stanoffs and the i\o shield that make the whole mb a common ground to the power supply. your power supply if it outputting the right voltage the mb if bare boned outside the case should work fine. if not then try a spare power supply if it not the ps your left with the mb and cpu issue. the issue i have is the mb new or did the send you a rma mb. one that tested good but was returned to the vendor due to lock up or another issue.

zhopps

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I may borrow a friends but its going to take a couple of days to hunt down. So any of those componets can fail so quickly (I mean have it work fine, then not work on startup)? I'm sure Gigabyte will be willing to help me out since I just got it back from a RMA and that it's the wrong board. I will have to buy a new PSU if it's defective though. There is a local computer shop in town that may help me out with my questions and problems. I'll post back when I find out more.