Sign in with
Your question

First build please can you go over my components

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 1:12:30 PM

Hello everyone, new here so go easy now eh .

Been looking to build a new pc, been looking for a while now and came up with the following components:

- Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB

- Asus P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

- Kingston HyperX Genesis 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX)

- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX)

- Sony Optiarc AD-7280S 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

- Zalman Z9 Plus Black Tower Case

- Corsair TX 750W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified

Could you please tell me if this is a good list for my new pc?

I won't be overclocking but would like the option to in the future.

I am literally ready to buy the bits now, just need some re assurance as this is my first build.

Thanks a lot for any help,

Matt

More about : build components

December 14, 2011 1:25:33 PM

I don't see a Graphics card mentioned anywhere?

RAM - 16GB is more than likely over-kill for any application you will be using. 8GB is generally the recommended and you will most likely never see your system use more than 4GB unless you have some specifically intensive applications that will utilize it. 2x4GB Sticks, 1600MHz, CL9 (make sure its 1.5v RAM) - G.Skill and Corsair are popular choices.

PSU - Depends what GPU you plan on buying.

Motherboard - Id consider looking at ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3. Z68 packs a few more features than P67, over-clocks the same, and is PCI 3.0 ready.

December 14, 2011 1:50:23 PM

Looks pretty good. My thoughts are below...

MB - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MEM - As AdrianPerry stated 16GB is overkill. I would drop that to 8GB low latency modules. DDR3-1600 CL8 or DDR3-1333 CL7 are both faster than DDR3-1600 CL9, but run-of-the-mill DDR3-1600 CL9 is just fine.

PSU - With a single good gaming GPU, a 650w is fine. If you want to leave the option open for SLI / CF the XFX PRO850w is a good buy at the moment.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
December 14, 2011 2:11:23 PM

sadams04 said:
Looks pretty good. My thoughts are below...

MB - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MEM - As AdrianPerry stated 16GB is overkill. I would drop that to 8GB low latency modules. DDR3-1600 CL8 or DDR3-1333 CL7 are both faster than DDR3-1600 CL9, but run-of-the-mill DDR3-1600 CL9 is just fine.

PSU - With a single good gaming GPU, a 650w is fine. If you want to leave the option open for SLI / CF the XFX PRO850w is a good buy at the moment.

Micro-ATX motherboard.....eww :non: 

Your better off throwing in an extra $20 and grabbing an ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 :) 
December 14, 2011 2:16:09 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Micro-ATX motherboard.....eww :non: 

Your better off throwing in an extra $20 and grabbing an ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 :) 

Micro... yes, but 8x/8x for SLI / CF. Nothing wrong with it unless you need the extra PCI 1x slots for a TV Tuner or other card.
December 14, 2011 2:20:55 PM

sadams04 said:
Micro... yes, but 8x/8x for SLI / CF. Nothing wrong with it unless you need the extra PCI 1x slots for a TV Tuner or other card.

Very true. They just always feel "cramped". Unless saving space was an issue, id chose a standard ATX every time.
December 14, 2011 3:00:12 PM

Could you include links to your parts?
From what I can see, your list is ok, but I think you can do better.
A 2500K is about the best possible start.

What will this pc be used for?

1) If it is not for gaming, then you want a Z68 based motherboard that can activate both overclocking and use the integrated graphics of the 2500K.

2) If it is for gaming, you will want a discrete graphics card of some power. The stronger the better.
The Corsair 750w will power any single graphics card sold today.

3) If you love the case, get it. Cases are a personal choice. To my mind, any case that has at least two 120mm intake fans will supply sufficient cooling.
I am not certain the zalman qualifies since it seems to have only one front fan. Side fans value is questionable.
I would suggest the Antec300 illusion model which costs less($40), and has better airflow:

4) 8gb(2 x 4gb) is the norm, and very good for most users. If you will be using a 64 bit enabled app, then by all means, get 16gb. Ram is cheap.

5) I suggest you get a modest aftermarket cpu cooler up front. It will keep your pc cooler and quieter. An OC can go easier and higher. It need not be expensive. $30 will buy you a Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212.

6) There was a suggestion for a M-ATX motherboard. I like them, primarily because they can fit in some nice smaller cases. One drawback is that they are not practical for dual graphics cards because of heat problems. But, you can, today buy a single graphics card equal to sli GTX570(GTX590), so I don't see that as a real issue. M-atx motherboards will usually be a bit less expensive.

7) Hard drive prices are crazy today. A caviar black 1tb drive will be close to $200. It is a fine drive.
If your usage is for gaming, and not video editing, then consider getting a SSD up front for your os and games. A Intel 120gb 320 will cost the same. It will hold the os and a bunch of games easily. On my 120gb SSD, I use 85gb for the os, about 8 games, and 4gb of photos. If, you eventually run out of room and more space, hard drive prices will have returned to normal an you can add the hard drive for expansion then.
!