Sign in with
Your question

quad channel vs 2x dual channel build

Last response: in Memory
January 25, 2013 5:46:25 PM

i have a ASUS P9X79 PRO mobo and i am looking to put 32gb of memory in it. the issue i am running into is a 32gb quad channel kit vs (2) 16gb dual channel kits.
both are corsair, both are cas latency 10-10-10-27, both are ddr3 1600 and 1.5v and XMP ready....
the difference is the 32gb quad kit is 179.99 and the (2) 16gb dual kits would be 159.98

would there be any instability issues or should i go with the cheaper buy

thanks in advance
a b } Memory
January 26, 2013 1:43:38 AM

Nothing if the cards are same but I'd recommend you to go with the quad channel kit because if one card ever crashes then you can get the whole set replaced. So if you get two dual channel set crashes only one set, which the card belogs to will be replaced. So the new replacement set at you get might have different settings. It already happened with me and I had to throw all of the cards away.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 26, 2013 1:58:23 AM

The only different i know is, the quad supposed tested to works together....

there may a slight chance 2x dual will not working well together...

but IMO, I'll go with 2x dual. usually problems only start happen when O.C. included or mobo factor...
(the dimm's tested to work at they rated for)
m
l
January 26, 2013 2:27:51 AM

My 32g of corsair RAM is actually 2 sets of 2X8.

One of the sets failed memtest out of the box but newegg replaced it almost overnight.

I have since overclocked to 4.2Ghz with no issues. (Maybe I could have gone higher with a matched quad-channel kit?)

Either way, two dual channels worked for me. (Although I did make sure I ran the matched pairs in the correct slots so they worked as two matched sets)
m
l
!