Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot w/o BIOS/CMOS reset

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2012 2:07:47 AM

I just upgraded my CPU from a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ to an AMD Phenom II X4 910. After the installation, the PC will not POST unless I press the CMOS Reset button or reset the CMOS using the jumper. When I do reset CMOS, the system will POST, but I have to load default settings for Windows to load. If I restart the computer, this whole process repeats. Any ideas?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MYDeljDphj8/T2f0Of8g...
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2012 2:11:12 AM

Your image is broken.

Also, did you update the BIOS before you installed the new CPU? That might be it or it could be that your mobo doesn't support the Phenom II.

Which mobo do you have?
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:12:52 AM

Thanks for your reply, jimmysmitty.
I'm not sure why I can't get the image to display correctly, but here's a link to my Speccy system summary.

In regards to the BIOS being up to date, I believe it is, but it's been difficult to find BIOS updates for this XFX MB.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2012 4:48:28 AM

Thats right. I forget that XFX needs you to register to see drivers for a mobo. Which is pretty stupid.

I am not 100% sure. So long as you have the latest BIOS and the mobo is seeing your CPU properly it should work properly. No other changes made recently?
m
l
March 20, 2012 8:47:02 PM

Yea, it's an odd system XFX has. I am registered, but they actually don't have any BIOS listed for my motherboard. I emailed them about BIOS updates and they provided me a public FTP site, but it looks like I'm running the most up to date BIOS.

I've also recently upgraded the video card and memory. I had an nVidia 8400 GS and only 4GB of memory. Now I'm running a ATI HD 6850 and 8GB of memory. However, each piece was installed and tested separately. I only started having issues after the CPU upgrade.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 20, 2012 9:24:07 PM

Have you had the chance to try a new PSU? That might have pushed it over the edge, the new CPU and GPU. Which PSU are you running?
m
l
March 27, 2012 4:52:35 AM

According to Newegg's Power Supply Calculator, their recommended PSU Wattage is 513W. I have an 850W PSU. I may try messing around with the BIOS again. I haven't restarted recently, so it hasn't been an issue, but the next time I do... oi :( 
m
l
March 30, 2012 12:00:48 AM

Bump for my viewing/more ideas
m
l
!