Huge range problem! help!

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hey all,

Ive got a serious issue with my dlink setup.

I purchased a DSL 2730 dlink modem/router and a DWA 525 network card for my pc. both products are wireless N 150 and are meant to work great together, except my speed is incredibly poor my range is 2 bars from about 15 meters away. I recently contacted them with regards to this, and i was sent a new DWA 525 network card. Upon reinstalling this, the same problem persists.

Naturally i would think "ok, its the modem/routers fault", but there are 3 other computers in the house. All 3 are laptops with built in wireless N 300 adapters, and they all receive full bars and full speed. My pc is the only one who receives the poor speed and signal.

I also recently built a new PC and the same issue is in this PC as it was in my old one.

Does anyone have any suggestion!? I would greatly appreciate any!

Thanks!

Solution
Could be a lot of things. It might be EMI/shielding issues w/ that PC, esp. give it’s a PCI-based wireless network adapter. I suppose you could try a third party antenna w/ cable, although even these have their limits before they introduce signal lose of their own.

Frankly, I rarely use either PCI or USB wireless adapters for this and other reasons. Instead, I typically use a WEB (wireless ethernet bridge). A WEB gives you much greater options in terms of orientation/placement (up to the limit of an ethernet cable, ~100m). You also eliminate OS compatibility issues, preserve WOL (wake on lan), and can share that same WEB w/ other devices in the vicinity (by using a WEB w/ integrated switch, or adding a switch).
Could be a lot of things. It might be EMI/shielding issues w/ that PC, esp. give it’s a PCI-based wireless network adapter. I suppose you could try a third party antenna w/ cable, although even these have their limits before they introduce signal lose of their own.

Frankly, I rarely use either PCI or USB wireless adapters for this and other reasons. Instead, I typically use a WEB (wireless ethernet bridge). A WEB gives you much greater options in terms of orientation/placement (up to the limit of an ethernet cable, ~100m). You also eliminate OS compatibility issues, preserve WOL (wake on lan), and can share that same WEB w/ other devices in the vicinity (by using a WEB w/ integrated switch, or adding a switch).

Solution

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
changed my router, no problem now!

ive contacted dlink about this and just sent the router in...i did buy the dsl 2730 when it first came out so maybe a design fault or something.