How remove zip files from Win Explorer's folder tree

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Windows Explorer's folder "tree" shows folders and zip files.

How can I prevent Windows Explorer showing the zip files?
3 answers Last reply
More about remove files explorer folder tree

    Hi,

    The job of explorer is to show all files and folders,
    except for the hidden ones. Only way to hide the zip
    files that I can think of, is changing their attributes as
    a hidden file.

    Jeff

    Sorry to correct you Jeff, but there are a number of ways to disable this.
    The only reason that you'd want to follow Jeff's advise is if you do intend
    to use Windows's own .zip support. I'd assume since you dislike one of the
    best features of this, that you probably already use a third-party program
    to handle .zip files. If you don't, then I'd recommend that you do, as this
    support in Windows is very limited, not least in terms of the lack of
    support for any other type of compressed file (.cab support is separate and
    even more limited). There are many programs, notably WinRAR or WinZip which
    have far better support for not just .zip files but other popular compressed
    files such as .rar and .cab files too. Anyway to disable .zip support in
    Windows Explorer you'll have to enter the following command, at the command
    line or via Start Menu > Run.

    regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

    Once you've done this you'll have to (re-)associate a program to open these
    files, even if you were already using a different one. To re-enable it, just
    use the same command, minus the /u, unregister switch:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

    Nik

  3. >>-----Original Message-----
    >>Windows Explorer's folder "tree" shows folders and zip
    > files.
    >>
    >>How can I prevent Windows Explorer showing the zip files?

    No way to obtain this in Windows 8, as the zipfldr.dll was changed, so that the current answer is: "The module ... was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found"
    No result trying the Permissions as Admin via regedit as well.

    Don't understand the reason of such forced behaviour, since the view of many zip files iside the tree is ugly for a programmer - e.g. saving on the fly copies of many routines in progress - and any free choice is always welcome.

    However, in my experience, the only mode was to rename all my zip files to *.rar and associate them to the 7zip (maybe WinZip too, I didn't try); so both the options will be effective.

Configuration Windows Explorer Zip Microsoft Customization Explorer Windows XP