How remove zip files from Win Explorer's folder tree

August 26, 2004 3:42:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Windows Explorer's folder "tree" shows folders and zip files.

How can I prevent Windows Explorer showing the zip files?
August 27, 2004 5:09:31 AM

Hi,

The job of explorer is to show all files and folders,
except for the hidden ones. Only way to hide the zip
files that I can think of, is changing their attributes as
a hidden file.

Jeff

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 10:20:13 AM

Sorry to correct you Jeff, but there are a number of ways to disable this.
The only reason that you'd want to follow Jeff's advise is if you do intend
to use Windows's own .zip support. I'd assume since you dislike one of the
best features of this, that you probably already use a third-party program
to handle .zip files. If you don't, then I'd recommend that you do, as this
support in Windows is very limited, not least in terms of the lack of
support for any other type of compressed file (.cab support is separate and
even more limited). There are many programs, notably WinRAR or WinZip which
have far better support for not just .zip files but other popular compressed
files such as .rar and .cab files too. Anyway to disable .zip support in
Windows Explorer you'll have to enter the following command, at the command
line or via Start Menu > Run.

regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

Once you've done this you'll have to (re-)associate a program to open these
files, even if you were already using a different one. To re-enable it, just
use the same command, minus the /u, unregister switch:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

Nik

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The job of explorer is to show all files and folders,
> except for the hidden ones. Only way to hide the zip
> files that I can think of, is changing their attributes as
> a hidden file.
>
> Jeff

January 31, 2013 7:53:13 AM

No way to obtain this in Windows 8, as the zipfldr.dll was changed, so that the current answer is: "The module ... was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found"
No result trying the Permissions as Admin via regedit as well.

Don't understand the reason of such forced behaviour, since the view of many zip files iside the tree is ugly for a programmer - e.g. saving on the fly copies of many routines in progress - and any free choice is always welcome.

However, in my experience, the only mode was to rename all my zip files to *.rar and associate them to the 7zip (maybe WinZip too, I didn't try); so both the options will be effective.
!