Sign in with
Your question

Budget build for Webdesign

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 5:05:59 PM

I'm looking to put together the most cost effective system to do web design on. I was hoping to get some hardware suggestions. Now it doesn't need to be a beast of a rig, I've got that one covered already. But it does need to be able to support having more than one monitor.
So, I plan on buying it within the next month or so. Trying to keep the cost as low as possible. Only going to be used for web design, with the most intensive program probably being Photoshop. I'm completely open to Intel or AMD. No overclocking and no sli or crossfire. Probably going to use a 21" or 22" monitors.

Thoughts?

More about : budget build webdesign

December 14, 2011 7:20:24 PM

i5 2400 processor
Z68 chipset mb
2 x4 gig of 1600MHz RAM running at 1.5 volts
40 gig mSATA caching SSD
Hard drive set up in RAID 1 + a back up drive
Basic radeon or geForce graphics card around the $70 mark with appropriate dvi/ hdmi connectors
Quiet office case
400 watt power supply
m
l
December 15, 2011 12:25:08 PM

Outlander_04 said:
i5 2400 processor
Z68 chipset mb
2 x4 gig of 1600MHz RAM running at 1.5 volts
40 gig mSATA caching SSD
Hard drive set up in RAID 1 + a back up drive
Basic radeon or geForce graphics card around the $70 mark with appropriate dvi/ hdmi connectors
Quiet office case
400 watt power supply

Do you think it really needs an i5? Are the i3's that bad?
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 1:05:39 PM

The quad-core processor will help with applications like photoshop and graphically intensive design stuff.

i3-2100 would be perfectly acceptable though, it just depends what kind of budget your on.

RAID1 + a backup drive? Not sure what you mean by this? RAID1 consists of 2 HDD's and 1 mirrors the other, so a third backup drive wouldn't be necessary.

Rest of the build looks good, just decide if you want to spend the extra on the i5 or not :) 

For multiple monitors Id suggest going with an AMD card over Nvidia. ATI 6570 should meet that 70$ card mark
m
l
December 15, 2011 3:18:22 PM

Any Quad Core CPU and atleast 8GB of RAM will do the job. Personally I would go with

AMD A8 3870 when It comes (around 26 December ). APU can handle two monitors, so no extra money for GPU ;) 

A good quality FM1 motherboard

Atleast 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, but with such prices I would go for 16GB

Because of HDD prices, If you can live for a while with limited space or got an external HDD, I would also go for a SSD

m
l
December 15, 2011 6:39:33 PM

AdrianPerry said:
The quad-core processor will help with applications like photoshop and graphically intensive design stuff.

i3-2100 would be perfectly acceptable though, it just depends what kind of budget your on.

RAID1 + a backup drive? Not sure what you mean by this? RAID1 consists of 2 HDD's and 1 mirrors the other, so a third backup drive wouldn't be necessary.

Rest of the build looks good, just decide if you want to spend the extra on the i5 or not :) 

For multiple monitors Id suggest going with an AMD card over Nvidia. ATI 6570 should meet that 70$ card mark

RAID 1 is an excellent way of protecting data .........but any software problems on one drive are instantly mirrored in the second drive . If MEGAVIRUS2012 wipes you out you lose it all .
A professional needs a drive that is not part of the RAID to preserve data that cannot be lost under any circumstances . The drive can be internal or external and it only be connected when doing back ups
m
l
!