Strange problem

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
so i got this eVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked and when i plug it in, my pc doesn't go past the initial boot screen and it doesn't show the amount of ram currently installed. my motherboard is a Foxxcon Flaming Blade GTI. this problem does not emerge when i install my old graphics card ( Zotac 9800 GT Synergy edition) any suggestions?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
what is your power supply?

One of the things it could be is that your PSU is not strong enough to handle that card (it is VERY VERY VERY power hungry compared to your old card). This means that it could be basically maxing out just trying to run your Card and then not supplying any voltage to other parts of the computer (or not enough) causing crashes and instability.

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
My psu is a Cooler Master 650 GX. i think its more than enough. The only thing that popped in my head was the psu. I read the manual and it said it needs a 500W 32A psu, and mine is a 650W 52A psu. so i think thats not it...

Just to run through the basics , you do have it plugged into the first pci-e slot , you do have the power cables plugged into the card, how old is the power supply and did you uninstall the old card you had and power off and unplug the power supply. Sometimes a motherboard can be looking for the component that was plugged in if you don't do a proper removal or uninstall.

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
i did all the above^ and i actually know what im doing
its making me nuts.
but should i uninstall the display drivers before i plug in my new card? coz i think its not OS related

Clear the CMOS, install the old graphics card, upgrade to the latest BIOS, Install the 560Ti, ensure that everything is properly installed and plugged as it should be and see how it goes.
If finally still the same problem, try the GPU in another PC.

500w power supply with a +12v current rating of 30a . This is the power supply rating requirement that the 560ti has. Your power supply has a +12v rating of 52a so that should be enough unless you have an unusual amount of things in your computer that require power. Fans, water cooling, overclocking. You may have to reset your bios or update it. If in the end nothing that we suggest works then it could be the power supply.

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
tested another 560 ti with updated bios and the same thing happens again. im not quite sure about the power supply being crappy coz i've got an even crappier motherboard...
so we assume ive got both a crappy mobo and a psu, what do you guys suggest for a budget oriented psu and mobo for gaming? coz i had it with these chinese ***!

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
unfortunately a bit hard without knowing the budget

I wouldnt want to put that cpu / gpu in budget mobo or be powered by budget psu, maybe thats just me

try these for size..

Asrock P67 PRO3 SE
ASRock P67 EXTREME4

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W

gl
chaz

angerftw

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
my cpu is a core i7 930 so i'll be looking for a X58 mobo not p67. and my budget would be 500 dollars max for both psu and mobo. if i cant get anything reliable with this budget, ill wait. time to get a little bit more enthusiastic (or shall we say logical) with my choice of hardware.