Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Extreme Burn on Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
January 25, 2013 9:41:12 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me what may have caused this. I will list the history of the MB.

-3-4 months shy of 3 years
-Last item installed was an SSD about a year ago
-Only open the case to clean out dust and that has been over 3 months ago
-I normally leave the computer on
-I do not Overclock

I smelled something awful and tracked it to the computer. The computer was off so I knew something was wrong. I opened the side of the case and noticed the burn.

Here is an image
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/Shaymon23/2013...

Thank you for any insight.
January 29, 2013 4:44:08 PM

I sent the board into ASUS. The response I got back was that my Video Card burnt that spot therefore they will not warranty it. Is that possible since my video card is 4 slots away from where the chip was burnt?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 10:40:15 PM

What was plugged into the black plug really close to the burn? USB?
m
l
January 30, 2013 12:46:35 AM

smeezekitty said:
What was plugged into the black plug really close to the burn? USB?

There was nothing in the FireWire port.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 2:15:10 AM

That is quite strange. One of the dead parts might me a diode and I am not sure about the other. Looks like there was a fair bit of smoke though.

I doubt that a video card caused that but it is possible.
I would look closely at your video card and look for any possible burns or damage. Beyond that I am out of ideas.
January 31, 2013 5:08:17 AM

Thanks Smeeze, yeah I am going to just pay for a repair. Apparently another Asus tech looked at it and verified it was the video card. I still don't agree but who knows. They said not to put the video card back in so I guess I better get a new one on order. It looks 100% fine but I hate to risk it. As long as everything else is ok, I will be happy. Thanks again for your replies.
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:08:38 AM

Best answer selected by Shaymon23.
m
l
!