Need Win7 64-bit video card with S-video - HELP!

ShrimpBurrito

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hi folks -

I have a relatively new Maingear machine that I want to connect to an old television via S-video. The problem I am finding is that I cannot locate a video card with:

- S-video out
- supports 64-bit Win7
- will fit in either a PCI slot or a PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot (the latter of which is preferable because I have several)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

ShrimpBurrito

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I have this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1450-TR&pwindow=specs&family=&sw=

It has 2 DVI's and 1 mini-HDMI, however, it is my understanding that it will only drive 2 displays at once. I have displays on both DVI's, so I think the card is probably already maxed out. I don't use both displays and the TV at once, but neither monitor has an HDMI input, and I know there are no inexpensive HDMI to S-video converters.

That's an interesting adapter. If there are DVI to S-video adapters, then that will make a video card selection easy.

Dave

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
what are you trying to output to your TV exactly? anything from a modern video card through s-video would look pretty horrible just based on the fact that s-video is only capable of displaying such low resolution. The TV itself might not even support the resolution that is passed from the video card, if it really is that old.

ShrimpBurrito

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Yes, but most new cards, at least the ones I've seen, don't have S-video.

I'm just trying to watch Flash-based network programming off their websites, like cbs.com, abc.com, etc. All CRT TV's (which is what I have) have crappy resolution compared to modern computer monitors. But with my old computer, in which I had an S-video out on one of the video cards, the output looked fine. I just set the resolution it sends to the TV to be much lower than my monitors....I think it even auto-detected it was a TV, and adjusted it from there. My monitor resolutions remained unchanged when I turned the TV output on.

I card I'm looking for is going to be pretty cheap (or it should be)....certainly less than $50.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS