Sign in with
Your question

New computer locking up during gameplay HELPP!

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 6:47:06 PM

Hey,
I have been having problems with my computer freezing up during video games since i built my computer about two months ago. Basically whenever i am playing a video game such as Rift, Battlefield 3, or Total War my comp will completely lock up after about an hour of gameplay. Once it locks up the first time it takes a shorter amount of time for it to freeze up again. When it locks up, an awful noise comes over the audio the only way to get out of it is by manually hitting the restart button on the tower. I have tried reinstalling my OS, RMA'd my graphics card, updated all drivers and BIOS. Also my temps have all been good even while the comp freezes for both GPU and CPU as i've minimized the game and monitored them on the side. Someone please help me out it's getting very frustrating.

My system:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...
-->cooled with Corsair H80

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor

Thanks everyone!!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2011 7:19:56 PM

Have you tested the RAM? Sometimes if a game is crashing at a certain point, or when you do certain types of activities, it could be that that particular part of the program is calling on a bad sector in the RAM and the whole thing crashes. Seems weird that the time would shorten after the first, though.

Nonetheless, it's a good idea to run memtest86+ if you haven't yet. One way or another, RAM seems to account for about half of all random freezing in machines that are otherwise working normally.
m
l
December 14, 2011 9:57:14 PM

I will try out the memtest86+ the other thing that seems a little odd is that when the computer locks in a game the keyboard and mouse loose power... is it possible its a Motherboard issue?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 10:42:27 PM

im not trying to scare you but my computer made that "scary" sound a couple of times before my computer died on me

i reinstalled windows and it still locked up and made that scary sound, what could it be i still dont know

i reinstalled one more time, it wouldnt install. tried 8 diff windows 7 discs none would work all gave me diff errors

i concluded that either my hdd/ram/psu was fucked up but its nothing i can fix without buying new parts

instead i just bought a new computer :/  but that "scary" sound happend once on my new computer and i was fukin horrified lol that sounds coming to haunt me. i guess it might be ram since i had my ram settings wrong and i havent heard that sound since, unfortunately i never got a chance to do a ramtest and im to lazy to see how to fix it now that i have a new pc

it followed what your saying too, about an hour into gaming, locking up more often after the first

i wouldnt use your computer to game until you can find out how to fix it. i continued to play and after a day it wouldnt boot up it kept saying some error i forgot but be careful, my pc was 2 years old but yours is newer so im not sure if its the same issue

i forgot to mention i had 3 bsods before my computer finally wouldnt turn on, the first bsods ive ever had in 2 years
m
l
December 23, 2011 4:12:27 PM

Thanks for the responses It was in fact the RAM that was causign all the issues...Unbelievable.
m
l
!