Sign in with
Your question

BIOS

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 6:55:11 PM

Hello,
I am pretty much a beginner at this. I put a new system together. P8Z68-V PRO and i7 with one ssd and one hdd and one dvd
Upon boot up all works fine and I get the Menu screens that the book says and they work, but now what. I want to load Windows 7
I want to put it on the ssd.
Sounds dumb, but do I do next?

More about : bios

a b B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2011 7:12:06 PM

Once you're in the BIOS, there should be an option called "Boot Devices" or "Boot Priority" or something to that effect, depending on the motherboard. All your drives (hard drive or otherwise) will be listed there.

You'll want to set it so the DVD drive is boot priority #1, then save your BIOS settings and restart the machine with the Windows install disc in the DVD drive. Then it should boot to DVD and start the Windows install sequence. You'll be able to select which hard drive to install to from there.

Once you're done installing, don't forget to go back into the BIOS and set your SSD to boot priority #1, otherwise it'll keep trying to boot from the DVD.
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2011 7:14:48 PM

the easiest way is to pull the power cable out of the hard drive , leaving only the SSD connected via power and data cables .

Enter BIOS and set the dvd drive to be the first boot device .
Put your windows disk in the drive and then hit the reset button

The comp will then boot from the windows disk and you can partition and format the SSD and install windows .

Once thats done , turn off , reconnect the HDD and set the boot order to SSD first
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2011 7:33:47 PM

OK that worked. Windows 7 came up and is asking for info like language, time and currency format, keyboard or input method.
The screen is froze there. I can't use mouse or keyboard to make changes?

This mother board does not have key board or mouse connections. I used usb mouse and keyboard. They worked when I got into the BIOS but they don't seem to be working now.

m
l
December 14, 2011 7:44:55 PM

I took out the usb key board and mouse plugs and put them into a new position, and they started working??

Strange

Windows is loading

Thanks
m
l
!