Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering in games!

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 8:06:25 PM

Hello, i have finally come here for some final help, im at my complete wits end. in all my games, i have a form of stutter, in which during movement scenery etc looks like it skips, maybe frame skip? im not sure but its some kind of stutter. i've searched the web for countless hours and no luck,
can anyone make any suggestions to fix this? im soo annoyed because of the length of this problem, and i just want it gone for christmas!

also i have swapped out my HD6950 for my old GTX 460, the problem persists, i just installed a new WD caviar green from a samsung spinpoint F1 and the problem is still there. im just clueless and i want it gone!

Specs (as far as i know)

GigaByte HD6950 1GB (and 1GB GTX 460 spare)
antec truepower 650w
A Foxconn mobo, G31X i think.
Q8300 Quad cpu @ 2.50ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
WD Caviar Green 750GB (Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB, think is faulty)

More about : stuttering games

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
December 14, 2011 8:23:08 PM

have you tried formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows ?
December 14, 2011 9:37:51 PM

If you can get another hard drive, do an install of Windows on that and try playing a game. Even a spare 80GB hard drive will do, just for the test. I'm sure you don't want to re-install Windows on your main HDD...
Related resources
December 15, 2011 4:17:03 PM

i just literally installed the caviar green, it was brand new two days ago with a fresh format, so thats out of the picture :/ 
December 15, 2011 8:06:58 PM

would it also help for you guys to know that i did a clone from my old samsung HDD to my new caviar green? would that carry the stuttering over from the old HDD?
December 16, 2011 3:47:13 PM

okay guys, one of my most trusted people when it comes to computers said, after all ive done (changed out gfx card, tinkered with ALL the software settings possible, and changed HDD) he said that the motherboard is the likely fault, luckily theyre cheap for G41X (upgrade from G31X) is that a wise bit of advice?
December 16, 2011 4:39:58 PM

a stutter as in a line coming down the screen (vsync) or your computer stalls and than unstalls

also i heard your hdd is horrible and should never be used, so i would still look into the hdd being a bottleneck

is it only in games? any driver issues check device manager, whats your constant fps and than fps when it skips use fraps
i dont see how the mobo would be a factor, maybe ram. when i had a stutter my ram was underclocked you have to manually change it in the bios to the settings it can handle

my ram is 1333 so i had to go into bios and do that, and than magically i had no more stutter
December 16, 2011 5:29:26 PM

its only in games, and the stutter is literally like a jumping background during movement. its a brand new caviar green and is better than my spinpoint F1. its a fast speedy HDD, so i dunno why you heard its bad. reinstalled windows a few times, so drivers arent really the problem. i dont know about my RAM, but my motherboard BIOS is tightly locked up so i cant look at RAM clocks, let alone edit them. but the stutter only happened a week or so after installation of my HD6950. im thinking some went wrong in my mobo as it was so tightly packed and i think the card was in contact with the mobo at one point. and its only a foxconn G31X so its not great.
December 16, 2011 5:41:19 PM

download cpu-z it will tell you what speed the ram is running at, and did u install the ram using dual channel mode? the ram have to be spaced apart at least on my mobo
December 17, 2011 8:49:10 AM

i didnt install the RAM, it was a prebuilt PC thats ive swapped out parts. but CPU-Z says its in dual channel and has a DRAM frequency of 399.7MHz. any help?
April 19, 2012 11:03:23 PM

Same thing happens here with Core i7 860 and RADEON HD 6850.
Did you fixed here?
If so,share your fix with me please.
Many thanks.
!