2500K 98 degrees at 3700 Mhz

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hello,
I've bought a new boxed 2500K along with an ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard. When idle the CPU stays at about 37c but under load when turbo is on it reaches 98c ! And I haven't even overclocked it. The voltage is not high at all, only 1.25v or so.
I'm using stock cooler, I thought I installed it wrong but I've double checked and then took it off and applied third party thermal paste but no result. The cooler is fixed very well, and its radiator gets very hot under load, so I think it's not the problem.

I see three possible reasons:
- the CPU is defective
- something wrong with my power supply
- temperature readings are wrong

Now I know the second one sounds strange, but It came to mind because it's the only part from my old PC and It had some CPU heating problems as well. And I've never heard of a CPU issues causing that serious overheating.
I have a couple days to return it so any ideas are highly appreciated!

Oops! Sorry for double posting, I don't how I did this.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

dont worry about it

its a known fault. ive got the same motherboard

there is a program. i cant remember which that can tell you the proper temps

the software that comes with it gives false readings as well

i know its false because i got a temperature warning from it off 130oC

it should have shutdown way before then. so i looked into it

there are reports all over the internet of this happening

Yea, I have heard of this occurring. Also Don't even do turbo on Stock CPU cooler. Not a good idea. because the stock cooler isn't designed are really anything designed out side of its stock operating conditions

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Its the motherboard that is defective, RMA it ASAP That temp reading is so strange. And I suggest you buy an aftermarket CPU cooler(air/liquid) its a good investment if you want to prolong the lifespan of the CPU.

Starting off it check to make sure that the HSF (heatsink/fan) is seated correctly. If you are using the stock HSF simply reach in and try to pull any of the twist clips that locked the HSF in place straight up. Do this to all 4 twist clip. If you are able to pull any of them up the HSF wasn't seated right and you need to reseat the HSF.

Adding in a good 3rd party HSF is a good way to deal with temperature issues. I have used the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and it does work well without being to expensive.

Also make sure that you have good air flow for your computer. Locking a computer in a sealed cabinet is a good way to run into problems.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I've tried the Ai smth. one. It reached 75c but didn't go any higher (probably it couldn't believe there could be any higher :) )

I think I've tried them all, but they are all showing the same result.

I was going to but I wanted to see how it works with stock since I'm not going to heavily OC right now. Seeing how hot it gets I don't think an aftermarket cooler would do much.

Yes, I've got 2 of them at the back. Plus right now the chasis is open and lying on a side so it shouldn't be the problem.

I reinstalled CPU once again just for the sake of it. This time I haven't spread the paste, just put a rise sized drop in the middle like many advise. No result.

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

It's fixed really tight, I could lift my MB by holding the HSF.
Is it ok for 2500k to reach TJ Max at 3700 MHz with stock fan?

Is it ok? Yes it wont damage the processor but I would rather see lower temperatures. In the end you can get upto around 80c to 85c (most boards have a alarm set for this temperature) you want to start worrying about damage to the system. The processor does have a final shut off called a Thermtrip # that is set at 125c it is meant to save the processor but at this temperature you most likely would be damaging something else.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Nekto

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Thanks for the info! But is it typical for this model to behave like that? I thought it should be much cooler.