Sign in with
Your question

To go with Intel/Nvidia rig, or to go with AMD/ATI rig for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 10:29:08 PM

I already have two system lists for both the Intel and Nvidia rig and the other list of the AMD and ATI gaming rig.

I'm wondering if Intel/Nvidia is better for gaming, or if AMD/ATI is better for gaming.
December 14, 2011 10:32:49 PM

Intel/ATI
December 15, 2011 7:29:19 PM

whats so different about Intel/Nvidia and AMD/ATI?
Related resources
December 15, 2011 7:38:27 PM

On a sidenote: Do you think that Intel and Nvidia will change their socket types next year, or soon? because I am going to buy me a rig and it would be a waste if i bought one and they change the socket types not far after. Same question for AMD and ATI.
December 15, 2011 7:43:09 PM

bavman said:
Intel/ATI

I agree with @bavman. I have an i5 2400 and a Gigabyte RADEON HD 6850 running together and I can run most games really well. Its been dis proven multiple times that it doesn't matter when you pair together AMD and ATI theres really no performance benefit.

I prefer Intel processors because I've had better luck with keeping them cool than AMD, and their overall performance. I prefer the 6850 because this had the best rankings for the price range that I was looking at.

Regarding your concern on socket types: Its really hard to predict changes in socket type for Intel. Umm Nvidia socket types? Last I checked, graphics cards don't change socket types, unless your referring to PCI vs PCI-E vs AGP, which PCI-E has been dominant for years.
December 15, 2011 7:46:09 PM

hardwareman11 said:
On a sidenote: Do you think that Intel and Nvidia will change their socket types next year, or soon? because I am going to buy me a rig and it would be a waste if i bought one and they change the socket types not far after. Same question for AMD and ATI.

PCI-E isn't going to change so you're good there. And Intel has already confirmed that Ivy Bridge will continue to use socket 1155. Now the chipsets that Ivy Bridge will use may change but it's not going to be anything too overly dramatic like the switch from 975 to P55 to Z68 was. You may be missing some features but it won't be too big of a deal.

Quote:
whats so different about Intel/Nvidia and AMD/ATI?

GPUs are not CPU dependant. You can use ATI/AMD GPUs on Intel CPUs, you can use NVIDIA GPUs with AMD CPUs, it doesn't really matter. Where you will notice a difference is by going SLI/Crossfire on either system. AMD's Eyefinity is something that's found on their cards and there's nothing NVIDIA makes that will match that. It's meant for setting up multiple monitor systems really easily. Now if you pair a Radeon GPU with an AMD processor it enables a technology called "AMD Vision" which allows the CPU to communicate with the graphics lanes far easier, giving you smoother redraws. Hope that makes sense. :lol: 

Quote:
I prefer Intel processors because I've had better luck with keeping them cool than AMD, and their overall performance. I prefer the 6850 because this had the best rankings for the price range that I was looking at.

The 6850 is one of the best bang for your buck video cards on the market, no question. As far as keeping your system cool goes that all depends on your case, fans, thermal paste (possibly) and how you have your airflow routed. It's pretty simple science.

Quote:
Regarding your concern on socket types: We're in a time where socket types are going to change pretty rapidly for Intel. It was a miracle that the 775 lasted as long as it did.

Yeah I'm amazed at that too, but Intel's already confirmed Ivy Bridge to support 1155 and Z68 and P67 motherboards with a BIOS flash so like I said you're safe there, but yeah sockets are rapidly changing for Intel these days, it's hard to keep up. :lol: 
December 16, 2011 5:05:39 AM

Intel's processors are more powerful but also more expensive. As far as building right now, put it on hold for a month or 2 because new gpu's from amd and nvidia are supposed to be released soon.
December 16, 2011 6:54:25 PM

Oh sweet. When are the ATI cards coming out?, the 7xxx series already? hope they are cheap enough but provide great performance in high settings and res like the 6850 and 6870 cards.
December 16, 2011 7:21:54 PM

hardwareman11 said:
Oh sweet. When are the ATI cards coming out?, the 7xxx series already? hope they are cheap enough but provide great performance in high settings and res like the 6850 and 6870 cards.

AMD's already said the 7xxx series is going to be released in mid January. :bounce: 
December 17, 2011 12:43:24 PM

Oh okay. So should I wait?, because I am not really good at waiting.
!