Sign in with
Your question

Best desktop for the use

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2011 10:36:28 PM

Hello,

I am planning to build a new desktop. I have seen some reviews and forums but i found they are most focused on gamers PC. I am not going to use this PC for gaming, but i would like to do this :
1. Very short boot times (not the 5 min with the laptop i have now !).
2. Il will be using Windows.
3. Be able to open or run multiple windows and/or applications : Ofice applications + web browsing + music or video playback + the antivirus tasks etc. at the same time.
4. Video streaming and playback in HD.
5. I was planning on using it as a media center too. Do not worry about the noise!

For the video streaming, the bottleneck is the internet service speed and not the CPU right ? could any one give me some numbers on that ?

I was thinking between the intel i5 and the AMD x4 or X6. All the reviews i have seen show results on high demand graphic games, but for my apps, is it necessary ?
In order to perform as a media center, do I really need a graphic card ?

Thankyou for the comments.

More about : desktop

December 14, 2011 11:07:00 PM

Before i post some parts, do you have a specific budget?

And the bottleneck is the internet service, but the GPU can also affect video streaming. AMD is cheaper and you can get a decent system for cheap, but if you prefer intel (especially an i5) than it will be a bit more expensive
m
l
December 15, 2011 12:02:07 AM

the_creed4 said:
Before i post some parts, do you have a specific budget?

And the bottleneck is the internet service, but the GPU can also affect video streaming. AMD is cheaper and you can get a decent system for cheap, but if you prefer intel (especially an i5) than it will be a bit more expensive

Hi, that was quik ! thanks.

I would like to keep it under 1000 USD, but if some parts make a diference and worth it, i will go for it for a bit more. So for the use i am going to give to the system, intel would be better? I mean, the diference woult be noticeable in comparison to AMD? I do not really prefer one over the other, is just that after reading so many revews and benchmarks and posts it seems to be a matter of what you do with the pc and eachone seems to have his own view.
For me, it is important that I can use the computer comfortably with the type of use i will give to it and that it will be able to perform easily an not just in the limit of failure...or to start loosing quality, for instance.
Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 12:19:41 AM

$1000 is a pretty large budget for a non-gaming computer. Will you be doing alot of video editing?
m
l
December 16, 2011 11:23:53 AM

azeem40 said:
$1000 is a pretty large budget for a non-gaming computer. Will you be doing alot of video editing?

Hi, No. I could do it for fun, with the family videos, once in a wile, but it is not the intended use. I just want something that will last and perform for several years. And that i would be able to upgrade or add a part without having to rebuild. For the streaming and media center type of use, for instance, I would like to ad a video card, if necesary, to playback HD video to a TV or add a TV tuner card, at least knowing the CPU is going to handle it.
m
l
December 16, 2011 1:42:13 PM

you can get well under $1000 for a basic internet PC. I'd recommend a Llano build

A6-3650 w/ HD6530D: $119.99
AS Rock H75M-HVS motherboard: $69.99
Kingston Hyper X 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM: $36.99
OCZ Solid III 60GB GB SSD: $89.99
Seagate 1 TB HDD: $129.99
Asus BluRay Drive/DVD burner: $57.99
Rosewill R102 Case: $29.99
Evercool 120mm fan: $7.49
Seasonic SS-300ES 300W PSU: $39.99

this is $482.41, plus shipping.

optional items:
Rosewill PCI Wireless N Adapter: $9.99
AverMedia AverTVHD Duet: $69.99

which gets you wi-fi and the ability to watch HDTV (and record a second channel)
m
l
!