Sign in with
Your question

Cpu fan error message with cooler master hyper 212 plus

Last response: in Components
March 20, 2012 2:12:09 PM

I just recently build my new desktop and I have been getting this error message on start up that says something like "CPU fan error press f1 to continue" I am quite new to building but as far as i can see my fan is still running (at about 590 to 600 rpm according to my bios) and it seems that it is doing and efficent enough job because it is keeping my computer at about 35-39 degrees celsius. Is there actually something wrong? I am planning on overclocking soon but was scared with my fan acting up. I felt like i may have put on a little too much thermal paste, could that possibly be it as well? Im not sure where to start here, is it okay to keep using it in the mean time as long as its not showing that my cpu is jumping up into the high 50s?
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 3:13:26 PM

Are you sure your CPU fan is connected to your CPU fan header on your motherboard? That can cause problems.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2012 3:19:51 PM

There are a lot of computer bioses that don't like fans to run below 600 rpm. The other thing is like Chainzsaw said, to make sure the fan is connected to the motherboard fan header for the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 3:23:29 PM

Go to bios and select ignore for CPU fan speed
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:23:51 PM

Usually it is in "monitor" section
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:37:03 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Are you sure your CPU fan is connected to your CPU fan header on your motherboard? That can cause problems.

I am almost positive it is in the right header it says [CPU Fan] on it so i can't see going wrong there.I talked to a tech guy at my school who said maybe updating the BIOS would help. what do you think of that?
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:38:02 PM

maxinexus said:
Go to bios and select ignore for CPU fan speed

Ha well if worse comes to worse that will be my fall back I guess
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:04:42 PM

If this happens during POST, then your cpu fan has not come up to speed yet (still less than 600 rpm) when the rpm is checked. This happens more often if the computer is at room temperature. It shouldn't happen if you do a Restart. If it does, you may have a fan problem. If you have a higher capacity fan on an aftermarket heatsink/cpu fan, (larger diameter fan), then this error message can happen often.
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:25:32 PM

autumnColors said:
If this happens during POST, then your cpu fan has not come up to speed yet (still less than 600 rpm) when the rpm is checked. This happens more often if the computer is at room temperature. It shouldn't happen if you do a Restart. If it does, you may have a fan problem. If you have a higher capacity fan on an aftermarket heatsink/cpu fan, (larger diameter fan), then this error message can happen often.

Yeah this never does happen during post actually. Its fine after restart, I'm just kinda paranoid since its my first build :/ 
m
l
April 21, 2012 9:54:57 AM

Yamanater said:
Yeah this never does happen during post actually. Its fine after restart, I'm just kinda paranoid since its my first build :/ 

Hey, just happened to be going through this problem, searched in Toms and this post came up.. The thing that worked for me was to lower the minimum cpu fan RPM in my bios. When the fan starts up "the one that came with the hyper 212" it starts near 550 RPM, my BIOS was set to have a minimum CPU fan RPM of 600. Changing it down to 500 did the job. I'll be replacing the bundled fan soon.
m
l
!