Sign in with
Your question

Worth it to Upgrade???

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2013 4:17:44 AM

Hey guys I have an Asus M5A97 motherboard right now.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M5A97/

And I want to upgrade to an Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

http://www.asus.com/ROG/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/

My question is will upgrading the motherboard boost my performance? The board I have now is awesome for overclocking and all that, but I'm just looking to upgrade the board so that I can put my spare parts together and set up a second rig for the wife to use.

So is this new board going to give me a performance boost or will I not even notice particularly?

The rest of my specs are:

AMD Piledriver FX-8350 CPU
G.Skill RipjawsX 1866mhz DDR3 RAM
Asus ATI Radeon HD 7850 2gb GDDR5 (x2 on Crossfire configuration)

More about : worth upgrade

a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 4:53:56 AM

You usually want to buy the cheapest motherboard with all the features that you require. Upgrading a motherboard for performance is the worst upgrade for its cost and it's better to fuel the cost into a different upgrade instead. Your current specs are quite impressive, and if you enjoy having the highest computer specs, then go for the upgrade since it's not a wallet-breaking purchase. What I would recommend is that you stick with your current motherboard and use the money saved to improve your second rig.
m
l
January 26, 2013 7:07:54 PM

Chairman Ray said:
You usually want to buy the cheapest motherboard with all the features that you require. Upgrading a motherboard for performance is the worst upgrade for its cost and it's better to fuel the cost into a different upgrade instead. Your current specs are quite impressive, and if you enjoy having the highest computer specs, then go for the upgrade since it's not a wallet-breaking purchase. What I would recommend is that you stick with your current motherboard and use the money saved to improve your second rig.

The second rig only requires a motherboard. The parts I have to go into it are

AMD Piledriver FX-8150
G.Skill RipjawsX 1600mhz DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1gb

What I was thinking was to get a new board for my rig and use mine for hers, I just wasn't sure how much of an improvement in performance I would get from it. But what you're saying is I won't get a big boost in performance, making it relatively worthless to spend the extra $100 for a higher-end motherboard?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 7:24:43 PM

As said above (and plenty of benchmarks to substantiate), youre not going to see incredible performance gains from comparing motherboard X to Y.

Now, if you need to buy a new one anyway...good hunting and look for what best fits your needs (form factor, expansion room...etc).
m
l
!