A few questions... PSU Position & Which cooler?

Annatar

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I'm planning on building a X79 desktop mainly for video and image editing and a little bit of gaming. I have a couple of questions though.

1) I've read a bit about positioning the PSU so the intake is coming from under the case or inside of it. Which of the two would be better off to use? I'd prefer that runs fairly cool and don't have a problem jacking up the case several inches to allow better airflow underneath.

2) For cooling the 3930k, H80 or H100? I do plan on overclocking - probably to ~4.5 GHz. If H100 would be better for this will it fit in my case?

3) Anyone see any problems with this configuration? I'm going to be moving my existing 750 GB hard drive over.

Case: HAF 932 Advanced
CPU: i7-3930K
Motherboard: Sabertooth X79
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (Will eventually be upgrading to 2 cards in SLI after the NVIDIA 600 or 700 series come out)
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W
Cooler: CORSAIR H100 or CORSAIR H80

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'll only tackle the PSU question. My preference is having the fan pull in fresh air from outside the case. As long as the case isn't sitting on carpeting, the feet of the case should keep the bottom of the case elevated high enough for good air flow. A filter is also advisable. Turning the PSU so that it pulls in air from inside the case isn't all that bad if you have good case cooling, but chances are the air inside the case will be a few degrees warmer than room temp. One issue with the fan inside the case (bottom mount), is the chance of unknowingly dropping something unto/into the fan and stopping it. Having said that, I have used both mountings with no problems.

Btw, I see no issues with your config... other than my being envious ;)

g-unit1111

Titan
1) I've read a bit about positioning the PSU so the intake is coming from under the case or inside of it. Which of the two would be better off to use? I'd prefer that runs fairly cool and don't have a problem jacking up the case several inches to allow better airflow underneath.

I generally mount my PSUs so the fan faces upward but that all depends on the positioning of the screw headers on the case. With my Graphite 600T I have to have the PSU pointed downward in order to make the PSU fit.

2) For cooling the 3930k, H80 or H100? I do plan on overclocking - probably to ~4.5 GHz. If H100 would be better for this will it fit in my case?

H100 would be my choice, I'm planning to buy one after the first of the year.

3) Anyone see any problems with this configuration? I'm going to be moving my existing 750 GB hard drive over.

Case: HAF 932 Advanced
CPU: i7-3930K
Motherboard: Sabertooth X79
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (Will eventually be upgrading to 2 cards in SLI after the NVIDIA 600 or 700 series come out)
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W
Cooler: CORSAIR H100 or CORSAIR H80

Thanks.

Looks pretty good to me! The H100 will be easier to install for sure but you'll have to check and make sure your case has the proper mounts for it on the top. I have the HAF 912 and it does have the mounts for it, but I'm not sure all HAF cases do. If you're gonna go SLI *AND* overclock I might be more inclined to suggest this PSU just to ensure future proofing your new build - it's the same price as the Silent Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

One recommendation though is that this RAM is dedicated quad channel and will be better situated for an X79 build, the RAM you chose is meant for dual channel Z68/P67/AM3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231497

Annatar

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
For the psu location I think I'll play around and see which way runs cooler.

I found the case on sale and got it already, should the H100 fit well on these brackets?

32265935.png

Mhm... I don't have a problem reinstalling windows but my Office 2010 Suite on my existing pc was a download so I do not have a disc for it. Anyone know if it's possible to create a backup of the specific programs that could then be transferred over?