nasim_30

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
1st my spec
intel E4500 2.2 GHz
intel 946 gzis mobo
1 GB transcend 667 ddr2 (single channel)
160 GB samsung sata
1 asus dvd rw
mercury KM84 casing with it's psu(395 W written)
and that's all, no external graphics card
normally there is no problem with this while i'm browsing, office work etc.

But while i'm gaming (please do not laugh) like-age of empire-2, Warcraft-3,robin hood, fifa2007 or fifa 2008 etc with low-mediam setings @1024*768 ther is also no problem, the games run smooth(at least smooth to me),but after 10-15 minutes (some times 4-5 minutes,and some times 1-2 hours) the pc get restart. And there is a sound like (pichek or breek) while restarting. And some times i play all night there is no restarting.
I reistall the XP, upgrade the bios, upgrade the driver(graphics, mobo) but still the problem is not solved. i googled about it but find no answer.
I know my spec and problem is very laughable to you, but still can you guys give me any suggestion where my problem is?

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Sounds like the PSU is iffy. Go to the PSU sticky and get a tier 2 or 3 replacement PSU.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.

nasim_30

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Hi, thanks for the replying.
for heat problem- I've checked the heat issue, never crosses above 40'c, i never overclock my cpu.
And i know for game i need graphics card, but this game i mentioned run properly, even sometimes i can play 4-5 hours nonstop, and somtimes 2-3 minutes!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Lets see.. you could:

1.) Set XP to stop on the blue screen to see what details or error numbers that it comes up with. Which is done by bring up system properties, then advance tab, then click on settings for startup and recovery, uncheck automatically restart.

2.) Check the event viewer, I'd look at the system events for hardware problems, or application for any software problems. You can also click on the hyperlink for additional info from MS to see if it can help you out, when your viewing the event.

3.) Double check on the memory spec's. Sometimes the bios will automatically set things up on the memory timings and voltage. If the timings are too tight, or not enough voltages, those things could cause instabilities.

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
how long have you had this problem?
No, your specs seem ok to me, its not laughable.
In my personal experience I have found several reasons for "restarts at games":
-Memory is incompatible or its mixed or is misconfig.
-BAD PSU or low PSU.
-SATA Hard Drive cable is somewhat loose or its just broken.
-Loose PCI cards (sound, etc).
-Overheating (fan failure, fan is slow or the "remove before install" sticker was not removed from the heatsink. etc)

nasim_30

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
i've this problem since i bought it.

You know it is a intel mobo, if i change anything about ram(fsb,timing) in bios the PC do not start untill i reset it back to default with the jumper.

I can watch movie, or run highend sowftware like Autocad 2008 or ETABS 9 with out any problem.

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
it really sounds as chipset overheats after a while of 3D use, or the Pc itself needs more power when doing 3D and that causes a crash due to Power supply instability.

I would do a 3Dmark 2003 or 2005 looping and checking temps. If you don't have a temp monitoring use your hand over the chipset heatsink, normally it could be hot, but it shouldn't be superhot.

Another thing you could try is to borrow a 3D video card, lets say an Nvidia 6200, and try that out.

good luck, Hope you get back with good news, if not then we will try to think in something else.

nasim_30

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
OK guys, thanks for replying.
Right now I can't afford a good PSU or Graphics card. But after 1-2 months I can go for the PSU, than Graphics card. Cause graphics card need good PSU.
In my country Thermaltake(500W) are available as a brand PSU. Is that good?

Thermaltake less than 600 Watt is not a good brand (Tier 3 or 4), but better than what you have now.
Make sure you look at the 12v rails when buying. That is the most essential rail. Some 400 W power supplies have 14 amps on the 12v rail, some have 18 amps.

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
well, depending on pricing, the thermaltake could make a better job than your actual PSU. Still, I have antecs and sharkoons and they do a nice job. But if you want to deepen your reasearch theres a PSU stress test available somewhere in toms hardware testing galore.

nasim_30

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I think that may be due to a driver to something. You said you reinstalled XP. Did you install SP2?

I'd basically insure that SP2 is installed, and make sure all devices have the most updated driver. (network, video, sound, ect)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Some things to try:

DON’T buy anything new... troubleshoot the software side first especially since you said you have this problem since you got the machine.

-Go into your device manager and see if there are any conflicts
-make sure you have all the latest drivers updated.
-try to get the stop error as someone mentioned a few times earlier.
-Narrow down what the issue is before blindly buying new things.

***I bet it is heat and or video issue.

TRENDING THREADS