Can I improve this gaming build, and keep it under $500?

ironfist221

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,
I have designed a $500 gaming rig, one that I can expand in the future. I want something that can play most modern games on, notably Skyrim. I went with the reviews when selecting most of the parts. I already have everything for this computer but what is listed, (e.g. HDD, Optical Drive, Peripherals...) so I don't need to spend money on that. I would like to know if these parts are completely compatible, (I know they fit together) and if they are the best choice for gaming. Noise is no issue. I prefer to use newegg.com for my parts, or would at least like to order all my parts from one website.

Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $39.99

Foxconn A9DA-S AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - $89.99

MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card -$129.99

Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 Controller Card - $14.99

KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2/ BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - $69.99

AMD Phenom II X2 565 Callisto 3.4GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor HDZ565WFGMBOX - $108.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $39.99

Total: $493.93

I am open to all suggestions, or better builds overall. Also, I chose a dual-core CPU based on some information I heard regarding the performance difference in Duo and Quad cores, and my price limitation. If you have any advice on whether I should get a better processor or not, let me know. Thanks!

Solution
I heard rose will was bad i would get a different brand. You could get 4gb(thats more then enough to play any game out now) of ram instead of 8gb and take the $19 dollars and get a phenom ii x4. Not very exprienced with this stuff but would the i3 be an option or would the phenom be better since it has 4 cores and a 6 core is available for him to upgrade to later if 4 cores start under performing. That power supply is over kill you can get a corsair 500w for 59.99 that would more then power that card. Now you can at least get a quad core. That corsair has 2 6 pin connectors so you can upgrade later by getting a gtx 550 and putting them in sli if you want. Get rid of the controller card with money you saved on the psu, ram and controller...

hitmanmoney

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I heard rose will was bad i would get a different brand. You could get 4gb(thats more then enough to play any game out now) of ram instead of 8gb and take the $19 dollars and get a phenom ii x4. Not very exprienced with this stuff but would the i3 be an option or would the phenom be better since it has 4 cores and a 6 core is available for him to upgrade to later if 4 cores start under performing. That power supply is over kill you can get a corsair 500w for 59.99 that would more then power that card. Now you can at least get a quad core. That corsair has 2 6 pin connectors so you can upgrade later by getting a gtx 550 and putting them in sli if you want. Get rid of the controller card with money you saved on the psu, ram and controller card thats $48. you could get the quad core and an antec 300 .

Solution

ironfist221

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks hitman. I wasn't sure about the Power Supply- I thought I was overdoing it... But what if I want to improve my Graphics card in the future, or get another one? Do you think 500w will be enough?

And with the processor, the MoBo I chose is an AMD chipset with and AM3 processor port, so I can't get an Intel... But what is the benefit of having a quad core over a duo core in gaming? I don't know much about this stuff either. :p

Also, I'd rather go a bit over $500 than get half the ram, because two of the things I want to use my computer are Minecraft server hosting and Dwarf fortress, which are both extremely memory intensive at points.

Thanks again in advance :)

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Do you really need that Controller card?

Also, that brand of power supply is bad. Get a Corsair like the previous reply recommends.

Finally, I think you would be better off with an i3 than the AMD chip. The cheapest i3 is about $124 and it should easily beat the chip you've selected.

hitmanmoney

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

That psu has 34 amps on the twelve volt rail two gtx 550 would take 20 amps and the processor would take another 7 amps so 27 amps total. It has the connectors as well. Do you by chance play wow? I would wait for more people opinions thou but i think it should run fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030 has 40amps on the 12volt rail so its a little bit stronger then the corsair for the same price.

ironfist221

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I do need the controller card for connecting my old hard drive. (It's PATA, and the motherboard only has SATA). Also, I will be getting a different PSU then- thanks for the feedback. And I kinda want to stick with AMD, because of price limitations and I can get a Quad core Phenom for about the same as an i3 like you mentioned