Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I improve this gaming build, and keep it under $500?

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2011 12:06:48 AM

Hello,
I have designed a $500 gaming rig, one that I can expand in the future. I want something that can play most modern games on, notably Skyrim. I went with the reviews when selecting most of the parts. I already have everything for this computer but what is listed, (e.g. HDD, Optical Drive, Peripherals...) so I don't need to spend money on that. I would like to know if these parts are completely compatible, (I know they fit together) and if they are the best choice for gaming. Noise is no issue. I prefer to use newegg.com for my parts, or would at least like to order all my parts from one website.

Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $39.99

Foxconn A9DA-S AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - $89.99

MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card -$129.99

Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2 / ATA 133 (IDE) x1 Controller Card - $14.99

KINGWIN ABT-750MM 750W ATX 12V v2.2/ BTX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - $69.99

AMD Phenom II X2 565 Callisto 3.4GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor HDZ565WFGMBOX - $108.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $39.99

Total: $493.93

I am open to all suggestions, or better builds overall. Also, I chose a dual-core CPU based on some information I heard regarding the performance difference in Duo and Quad cores, and my price limitation. If you have any advice on whether I should get a better processor or not, let me know. Thanks!

Best solution

December 15, 2011 12:23:09 AM

I heard rose will was bad i would get a different brand. You could get 4gb(thats more then enough to play any game out now) of ram instead of 8gb and take the $19 dollars and get a phenom ii x4. Not very exprienced with this stuff but would the i3 be an option or would the phenom be better since it has 4 cores and a 6 core is available for him to upgrade to later if 4 cores start under performing. That power supply is over kill you can get a corsair 500w for 59.99 that would more then power that card. Now you can at least get a quad core. That corsair has 2 6 pin connectors so you can upgrade later by getting a gtx 550 and putting them in sli if you want. Get rid of the controller card with money you saved on the psu, ram and controller card thats $48. you could get the quad core and an antec 300 .
December 15, 2011 12:33:57 AM

Thanks hitman. I wasn't sure about the Power Supply- I thought I was overdoing it... But what if I want to improve my Graphics card in the future, or get another one? Do you think 500w will be enough?

And with the processor, the MoBo I chose is an AMD chipset with and AM3 processor port, so I can't get an Intel... But what is the benefit of having a quad core over a duo core in gaming? I don't know much about this stuff either. :p 

Also, I'd rather go a bit over $500 than get half the ram, because two of the things I want to use my computer are Minecraft server hosting and Dwarf fortress, which are both extremely memory intensive at points.

Thanks again in advance :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 12:39:39 AM

Do you really need that Controller card?

Also, that brand of power supply is bad. Get a Corsair like the previous reply recommends.

Finally, I think you would be better off with an i3 than the AMD chip. The cheapest i3 is about $124 and it should easily beat the chip you've selected.
m
l
December 15, 2011 12:45:02 AM

ironfist221 said:
Thanks hitman. I wasn't sure about the Power Supply- I thought I was overdoing it... But what if I want to improve my Graphics card in the future, or get another one? Do you think 500w will be enough?

And with the processor, the MoBo I chose is an AMD chipset with and AM3 processor port, so I can't get an Intel... But what is the benefit of having a quad core over a duo core in gaming? I don't know much about this stuff either. :p 

Also, I'd rather go a bit over $500 than get half the ram, because two of the things I want to use my computer are Minecraft server hosting and Dwarf fortress, which are both extremely memory intensive at points.

Thanks again in advance :) 

That psu has 34 amps on the twelve volt rail two gtx 550 would take 20 amps and the processor would take another 7 amps so 27 amps total. It has the connectors as well. Do you by chance play wow? I would wait for more people opinions thou but i think it should run fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... has 40amps on the 12volt rail so its a little bit stronger then the corsair for the same price.
m
l
December 15, 2011 12:55:27 AM

I do need the controller card for connecting my old hard drive. (It's PATA, and the motherboard only has SATA). Also, I will be getting a different PSU then- thanks for the feedback. And I kinda want to stick with AMD, because of price limitations and I can get a Quad core Phenom for about the same as an i3 like you mentioned
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:00:52 AM

I used that PSU in my design and got rid of the old one. Thanks :)  Oh and no, I don't play wow.
m
l
December 22, 2011 7:37:52 PM

Best answer selected by ironfist221.
m
l
!