VRAM Question - 460 GTX SLI vs GTX 570

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeno

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I'm building a new mid range gamin rig and was all set to throw my money down on an MSI Twin Frozr III (1280 MB), and SLI it down the road when it was needed. However, after doing some research it appears that a few games out currently are able to reach this VRAM cap which would start to cause performance issues.

I have an old GTX 460 that I could throw into my new setup, and I could purchase another one for SLI for the performance boost. I know this doesn't increase my VRAM to 2 GB, but I wanted to get your guy's opinions. I've always had fantastic luck with Nvidia and was looking to stay with them. Is it time to go ATI?

Do you think it makes sense to SLI 460s now, and if new Nvidia models pop up to 2 GB, go with them? I'll probably be playing BF3/MW3 initially and will definitely be playing MMOs (GW2, SWTOR, etc...) I know there is a 2 GB EVGA GTX 570 out, but it runs at about $400 whereas the GTX would be less than half the cost.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
^thats a great card but I still think buying a second 460 is a much better value, you will end up spending a lot less in the end and still have relative 5970 (or better) performance,

either way you will have a killer setup, goodluck and have fun
^the NV 6 series likely will not be out til Q2 of 2012, that's a long time to wait imo considering that your going to have to wait another 2-3 months after that for the aftermarket models...

and personally I'm just done with reference design, especially after the success Ive had with the ASUS DCII GTX 560TI

^thats a great card but I still think buying a second 460 is a much better value, you will end up spending a lot less in the end and still have relative 5970 (or better) performance,

either way you will have a killer setup, goodluck and have fun

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.