I am downgrading my build and need some help

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I am building a partial new rig. I want to keep some of the parts I already have for a future build and for my current new downgrading build. I have just recently moved and only have a 4Mbps connection and this is okay for internet and xbox it is less for pc gaming. I was going to use the computer for school as well so I would like to sell off some of my parts and pay some bills while still building an enjoyable gaming pc. Another reason is I do love gaming on pc I find myself not using it as much as I would like to due to the amount I have spent on my current rig.

My current build:

Case Corsair 600T White Edition- KEEPING FOR NEW BUILD
Corsair AX 1200- KEEPING FOR NEW BUILD
DVD Burner- KEEPING FOR NEW BUILD
8GB 1.5v Mushkin Ram- May gift this and downgrade to 4gb
ASUS 3D Monitor- KEEPING
150GB Raptor KEEPING
1000GB WD Black- KEEPING

3D Glasses kit- SELLING
i7 2600k- SELLING
gtx 580- SELLING
Corsair H50- SELLING
p8p67 ws revolution- SELLING
30GB SSD- SELLING

I would like to replace all the parts I am selling with cheaper components. I would like to go AMD as you cannot be the price/performance gap they have over intel/nvidia builds. I would like if I could get some help at choosing.

Here are my rough ideas:

Approximate Purchase Date: (This following week)

Budget Range: ($600) or less After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet browsing and streaming (I have a 4Mbps connection but its still important), Gaming, business related tasks such as keeping dates, times, and other simple tasks.

Parts Not Required: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Case, Power supply, dvd burner, hard drive)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Canada Computers, Newegg.ca/NCIX)

Parts Preferences: (I would like this build to be AMD based)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, in the near future.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: Cheap but still effective for modern tasks and games.

Solution
I don't think this is a very good idea. The amount of money you will make after selling these parts and buying new ones will be small.

You might just sell your waterblock and call it a day.

You could also make some money selling the graphics card and getting a cheaper one.

I just don't think there is much of a market for used CPUs.

Finally, do you know that if you replace your motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of windows?

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Yeah, I can still see myself getting a good amount of cash. I am trying to sell my 580+ backplate on Ebay for $399

If anybody is interested in buying something please pm and I will link you to the auction.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think this is a very good idea. The amount of money you will make after selling these parts and buying new ones will be small.

You might just sell your waterblock and call it a day.

You could also make some money selling the graphics card and getting a cheaper one.

I just don't think there is much of a market for used CPUs.

Finally, do you know that if you replace your motherboard you will have to buy a new copy of windows?

Solution

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I'll give you an idea of the type of deal I am offering and that is what I am happy with.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280791180299?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

(IF this is not allowed to be posted please remove the link to the auction)

I dont mind getting windows again.

I will be able to sell my 580 for $100 off and buying an AMD card

Somebody already wants the Mobo for $200 shipped.

I am planning on downgrading. I am sceptical whether it is a good idea or not myself but I have bills to pay and I need a computer that suits my new home for now.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Okay, well if you have the deal lined up, and you think it makes sense, then do it.

One thing I have to add though, is that you might consider the lower performing intel parts over AMD. In many cases intel wins both in performance and price. This wasn't the case just a few years ago, but now I don't think I would recommend anyone go with an AMD build. Just to be clear, I'm only talking about processors. AMD GPUs are great.

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I think It is a good idea to hold off on selling as I could only imagine what would happen if I could only sell half the parts. I can almost not bare to think what it would be like without my 580. I would rather sell the entire pc or a few of the parts I do not need at the moment.

Just for laughs I will post the entire computer and see if I get any reasonable offers. It is the holidays so you never know despite the economy being bad at the moment.

Thanks for your input.

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I agree with the others. You will not get the value of your parts because computer parts (electronics in general) will depreciate very quickly. It's like trying to sell a car with over 200K in mileage. You know the car still performs but you will get close to nothing. Just keep your parts and upgrade once you are ready!

TRENDING THREADS