Motherboard not booting

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2013 8:47:01 AM

Hello,everyone
I have a ASUS A8N-LA REV 2.00 (Nagami2) motherboard with AMD 3800 processor and I had took it in to a place to check it out. They told me the processor was dead. so i bought a new processor and the same problem exists. i have been working on this computer for a month now.
I bought a post card and ran that and i found out the bios is an award. I keep getting a code #40 that comes up and the code is Virus Protect enable or disable. I sent the new processor back and installed the old one back into the motherboard and about 2 hours later. i had video and the computer booted up and everything was working fine. Until i opened up a game that was installed on the computer and now I am back to where it was before. No video, no nothing and the fans are running at high speed. I am guessing that the motherboard and processor are protecting it's self and shut down because of a virus that is in the hard drive. So much for taking it to a place that could fix it or tell what was really wrong with the computer.
I have everything out of the case and on the bench. I even purchased a new PSU which is a Bestech 300W and still the same thing. So knowing the motherboard is still alive and the processor is still good I have to try to get the motherboard to boot so I can erase all the games and pretty much restore it back to when I bought it. I was also thinking of clearing the CMOS and the Bios but I do not want to go to that extreme just yet. :cry: 
I am open to suggestions on this and if anyone else had any issues like this.

More about : motherboard booting

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 2:50:04 PM

That sounds more like a motherboard issue than a virus. There are several of those HP/Compaq motherboards up for sale on eBay. If I were you I probably wouldn't bother to fix it.
m
l
January 31, 2013 7:00:34 AM

GhislainG said:
That sounds more like a motherboard issue than a virus. There are several of those HP/Compaq motherboards up for sale on eBay. If I were you I probably wouldn't bother to fix it.

hello GhislainG,
Thank you for the info you were right it was a motherboard issue. I bought a refurbished motherboard $60.00 on ebay and it is working OK so far. Thank you again I have been working on this computer since December of 2012.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 9:11:54 PM

Are you using the CPU that was supposed to be dead or the new one that you bought? Were you able to return the non-defective part(s)?
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:27:01 AM

GhislainG said:
Are you using the CPU that was supposed to be dead or the new one that you bought? Were you able to return the non-defective part(s)?

I am using the CPU that was supposed to be dead and I did return the new one but I have not heard from the supplier about a refund as of yet.
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:39:47 AM

The only thing that is not working is there is no sound on the speakers with the new motherboard.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 242 V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 10:19:27 AM

Is it exactly the same motherboard? I would reinstall the drivers and if that doesn't help, then there's an issue with it that can be fixed with a used sound card.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:29:15 PM

GhislainG said:
Is it exactly the same motherboard? I would reinstall the drivers and if that doesn't help, then there's an issue with it that can be fixed with a used sound card.

Yes it is the same motherboard with the HP part number and all the right plugs for everything. i will try to reinstall the drivers. Right now everything else is working and it is able go on the net just like before. I had restored the computer to a earlier state back on august 2012 before the issue started and that did work but still no sound on speakers. The computer is working great, but no sound.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:30:32 PM

HP part number 5188-5067.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 242 V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 9:44:02 PM

The audio controller on the motherboard may be defective, but I'd verify the configuration and/or reinstall the drivers. No yellow marks for the audio controller in Device Manager?
m
l
!