Motherboard not booting

Hello,everyone
I have a ASUS A8N-LA REV 2.00 (Nagami2) motherboard with AMD 3800 processor and I had took it in to a place to check it out. They told me the processor was dead. so i bought a new processor and the same problem exists. i have been working on this computer for a month now.
I bought a post card and ran that and i found out the bios is an award. I keep getting a code #40 that comes up and the code is Virus Protect enable or disable. I sent the new processor back and installed the old one back into the motherboard and about 2 hours later. i had video and the computer booted up and everything was working fine. Until i opened up a game that was installed on the computer and now I am back to where it was before. No video, no nothing and the fans are running at high speed. I am guessing that the motherboard and processor are protecting it's self and shut down because of a virus that is in the hard drive. So much for taking it to a place that could fix it or tell what was really wrong with the computer.
I have everything out of the case and on the bench. I even purchased a new PSU which is a Bestech 300W and still the same thing. So knowing the motherboard is still alive and the processor is still good I have to try to get the motherboard to boot so I can erase all the games and pretty much restore it back to when I bought it. I was also thinking of clearing the CMOS and the Bios but I do not want to go to that extreme just yet. :cry:
I am open to suggestions on this and if anyone else had any issues like this.
9 answers Last reply
More about motherboard booting
  1. That sounds more like a motherboard issue than a virus. There are several of those HP/Compaq motherboards up for sale on eBay. If I were you I probably wouldn't bother to fix it.
  2. GhislainG said:
    That sounds more like a motherboard issue than a virus. There are several of those HP/Compaq motherboards up for sale on eBay. If I were you I probably wouldn't bother to fix it.

hello GhislainG,
    Thank you for the info you were right it was a motherboard issue. I bought a refurbished motherboard $60.00 on ebay and it is working OK so far. Thank you again I have been working on this computer since December of 2012.
  3. Are you using the CPU that was supposed to be dead or the new one that you bought? Were you able to return the non-defective part(s)?
  4. GhislainG said:
    Are you using the CPU that was supposed to be dead or the new one that you bought? Were you able to return the non-defective part(s)?

I am using the CPU that was supposed to be dead and I did return the new one but I have not heard from the supplier about a refund as of yet.
  5. The only thing that is not working is there is no sound on the speakers with the new motherboard.
  6. Is it exactly the same motherboard? I would reinstall the drivers and if that doesn't help, then there's an issue with it that can be fixed with a used sound card.
  7. GhislainG said:
    Is it exactly the same motherboard? I would reinstall the drivers and if that doesn't help, then there's an issue with it that can be fixed with a used sound card.

Yes it is the same motherboard with the HP part number and all the right plugs for everything. i will try to reinstall the drivers. Right now everything else is working and it is able go on the net just like before. I had restored the computer to a earlier state back on august 2012 before the issue started and that did work but still no sound on speakers. The computer is working great, but no sound.
  8. HP part number 5188-5067.
  9. The audio controller on the motherboard may be defective, but I'd verify the configuration and/or reinstall the drivers. No yellow marks for the audio controller in Device Manager?
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Processors Motherboards