Sign in with
Your question

Is AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core 8150 compatible with GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2013 10:37:48 AM

Hi guys, hope you can help me. I am looking to upgrade my system and i am looking at a AMD build and wanting the most out of my money. i have just bought 16GB of RAM and waiting for that to arrive. I am now looking at processor.
I currently have the Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P and im not to fussed about upgrading that any time soon ( i know i may be shooting myself in the foot) so i am curious as it is an AM3+ board will it support the "AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core 8150" or more importantly will it support any 45mm AM3+ processor. Which means i can look more into Bulldozer then Phenom.
Hope i posted this in the right place!
a b À AMD
a c 110 V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 2:23:26 PM

it's a AM3 MB not a AM3+ which means without a bios update it won't work.

AMD supports backward compatibility, with their chips, I mean you can stick a modern PH-II x4 into an old AM2 MB and as long as the bios will work with the chip it will work.

So it comes down to the question "did gigabyte provide you a bios that will work with that CPU"? I'd say "maybe".

you can try, there is a beta bios for the board on their site, and a bios that seems to have added a bunch of chips for compatibility. But other then promising to work with a fx 4170, there is nothing on their site which promises to work with more bulldozer models. you might want to contact gigabyte about this.
!