Buying a PS@ system.

I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
for gaming when needed.

Thanks

Bolo

"bolo999" <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
> on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
> comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
> ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
> system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
> for gaming when needed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bolo

I think you will be happy with a PS2 and it already has a large collection
of games out, who know when the PS3 is being released or how much it is
going to cost.

bolo999 <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote:
> I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
> on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
> comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
> ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
> system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
> for gaming when needed.

Short answer: Get the PS2 now.

Long answer:
I don't think the PS3 is realistically due out in the US for another year
or so. Nothing's been made official though. E3 is coming up in about 2
weeks and there'll definitely be a lot of announcements about the PS3.

I doubt that Sony is going to drop the price of the PS2, but you never
know. The logical time to drop the price would be this fall, when
Microsoft's XBox2 is rumored to debut (again, lots of announcements are
expected at E3...) Even then, the price will probably just go down to
$100.

Personally, if you can go the store and find 3-4 titles right now that
you like, then you might as well get the PS2 now. If the PS3's early
library is anything like the PS2's was, you'll be better off sticking to
the PS2 and its library for about a year after the PS3 launches. By then,
the PS3 will probably have dropped in price, and there'll be a decent
number of good games available for it. Your PS2 titles should also be
playable on the PS3 as well, so even if you got rid of the PS2, you can
still play the games.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> bolo999 <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
>>on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
>>comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
>>ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
>>system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
>>for gaming when needed.

Don't see the original post, so I am just going to tag onto Doug's
reply. The answer would be yes. The library of games for the PS2 is
huge, not to mention that all the PS1 games will play on it also.
Getting on board with the PS2 at this stage puts you in a position where
you can do some cheap gaming. Plenty of titles out there now that are
Greatest Hits titles (sell for less, generally $19.99 US and even less
sometimes, especially on sale.) You will also find plenty of used titles
out there to chose from, be it online shopping at a place like
ebgames.com or gamestop.com or one of their brick and mortar
stores...or any similar shops in your area.

The PS3 is still a ways off-next year at least and likely not till the
fall at the earliest, I would hang tight for a couple weeks till E3 is
over and the announcements are over with. Could see a PS2 price drop,
though I am betting on sometime closer to this fall or holiday shopping
season.

> Short answer: Get the PS2 now.
>
> Long answer:
> I don't think the PS3 is realistically due out in the US for another year
> or so. Nothing's been made official though. E3 is coming up in about 2
> weeks and there'll definitely be a lot of announcements about the PS3.
>
> I doubt that Sony is going to drop the price of the PS2, but you never
> know. The logical time to drop the price would be this fall, when
> Microsoft's XBox2 is rumored to debut (again, lots of announcements are
> expected at E3...) Even then, the price will probably just go down to
> $100.
>
> Personally, if you can go the store and find 3-4 titles right now that
> you like, then you might as well get the PS2 now. If the PS3's early
> library is anything like the PS2's was, you'll be better off sticking to
> the PS2 and its library for about a year after the PS3 launches. By then,
> the PS3 will probably have dropped in price, and there'll be a decent
> number of good games available for it. Your PS2 titles should also be
> playable on the PS3 as well, so even if you got rid of the PS2, you can
> still play the games.

Thanks guys. I'm going to get a ps2 console and I'm psyched.
But do you think pc gaming is better than ps2? I've always thought so. But
it's costing me more each time that pc games come out and I need to upgrade
my system. I now have a shuttle ST61G4 SFF pc, which is a P4 3 Ghz with 1
gig ddr400 ram. It runs great and supports most of the games out. I also
have a DVB card in it so I can receive satellite TV which makes it easy to
record movies for my PSP.

Thanks

Bolo

"bolo999" <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
> on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
> comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
> ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
> system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
> for gaming when needed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bolo

I got sick of PC gaming and the whole upgrade thing years ago. With
console gaming it is put it and play, not messing with or worrying about
settings, configurations, etc.. Plus I can play in a more comfortable
set-up with stereo and large Tv. Now the PC is for me is to do work or
projects, etc.. I rarely do any gaming on the PC these days, only when
something REALLY great comes out for it that is a must play for me. Last
of those were Far Cry and Half-Life2. Before those it had not been much,
still didn't do any upgrading to play those as I would have in the past.

bolo999 wrote:
> Thanks guys. I'm going to get a ps2 console and I'm psyched.
> But do you think pc gaming is better than ps2? I've always thought so. But
> it's costing me more each time that pc games come out and I need to upgrade
> my system. I now have a shuttle ST61G4 SFF pc, which is a P4 3 Ghz with 1
> gig ddr400 ram. It runs great and supports most of the games out. I also
> have a DVB card in it so I can receive satellite TV which makes it easy to
> record movies for my PSP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bolo
>

> "bolo999" <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>I just bought a new Sony PSP system. I like it so much that I was thinking
>>on buying a PS2 system. And I was thinking, should I wait until the PS3
>>comes out or just buy the |PS2? The PSP is the second system that I have
>>ever owned. The first system was a Atari 2600. And was my first and only
>>system I have ever owned. I normally play games on my pc. Upgrading my pc
>>for gaming when needed.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Bolo

bolo999 <bolo999@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks guys. I'm going to get a ps2 console and I'm psyched.
> But do you think pc gaming is better than ps2? I've always thought so. But
> it's costing me more each time that pc games come out and I need to upgrade
> my system. I now have a shuttle ST61G4 SFF pc, which is a P4 3 Ghz with 1
> gig ddr400 ram. It runs great and supports most of the games out. I also
> have a DVB card in it so I can receive satellite TV which makes it easy to
> record movies for my PSP.

Both PC and console gaming have their strengths, and I think there is room
for both. Consoles have always excelled at action games - fighters,
shooters, platformers, etc. However, PCs have always excelled at FPS,
RTS, sims and strategy games. Both have RPGs, though console RPGs tend to
be more story and character oriented. The resulting games tend to lack
the "openess" RPGs on PCs tend to have.

Personally, I think PC gaming is stuck in a big rut right now. Not a
whole lot of variety coming out. Consoles are getting stuck in a rut as
well - in fact, just about every game announced for the next generation
consoles is just a sequel of an existing game or franchise. Pretty sad.