technology?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
May 5, 2005 12:05:12 PM

Just wondering how things are developing.

.. Is there a point and shoot that will let you know if you have
a sun flare in your lens?

.. One that takes pictures on movement? (Bird flys into the
frame.)

.. Stereo sound for the video mode (binaural theme)?

.. Battery energy status based on usage? (Not terminal voltages, or
maybe both).

.. Scriptable camera. Program your modes on the PC and upload
to the camera?

.. Auto sports mode if the camera is moving (I'm running, falling.)
They can already tell if they are vertical.

.. Display that you can see in the sun?

.. Label and lock (cell phone theme)? Put you name and
phone number in camera memory (shows on boot) with a lock that
renders the camera useless to crooks. (Locks, maybe, once
a week automatically - don't want have to unlock it everytime
I hit the switch) (If these cameras got the reputation for
being unusable, it might discourge them)

'Watermark' picture date/time stamp. A subtile one, very much
unlike Kodak's screeming yellow plaster. ONe that kinda blends
into the picture (you have to look for it)

.. usb flash 'hot shoe'.

.. A camera that you can drop 3 feet on
cement, and, not break. I'd pay for that.

More about : technology

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:44:19 PM

That looks like an old camera list. Did it catch on?
I would think by now people spending $1000 would DEMAND
it.

Josh wrote:
> <hfs2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > . Scriptable camera. Program your modes on the PC and upload
> > to the camera?
>
> You're about 4 years late on this one :-)
>
> See:
>
> http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/digita/
>
> -Josh
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:55:25 PM

You have no need or desire for custom
functions. Fair enough. I stand corrected.
You would not demand it.

I still can't see why many serious photo junkies
wouldn't though. Camera operations, the options would
be limitless.

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 5 May 2005 13:44:19 -0700, hfs2@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >That looks like an old camera list. Did it catch on?
> >I would think by now people spending $1000 would DEMAND
> >it.
>
> Why? I use camera to take pictures not write code for. Frankly, I
> would spend several thousand dollar for a digital camera which was
> just like a Lecia 3G as far as the controls go and body.

> "A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."
>
> _Introductions to History of the Reformation_
> Jonathan Swift
> 1667-1745
May 5, 2005 7:06:35 PM

Well ..... Home today. Raining. Working on reports. Bored.
Haven't posted much in a long time. Every question stands though.
I could post something about race, rape or taxes if you
prefer. I see that's started up.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:57:28 PM

On 5 May 2005 13:44:19 -0700, hfs2@yahoo.com wrote:

>That looks like an old camera list. Did it catch on?
>I would think by now people spending $1000 would DEMAND
>it.

Why? I use camera to take pictures not write code for. Frankly, I
would spend several thousand dollar for a digital camera which was
just like a Lecia 3G as far as the controls go and body.

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 10:25:20 PM

On 5 May 2005 08:05:12 -0700, hfs2@yahoo.com wrote:

> Just wondering how things are developing.
>
> . Is there a point and shoot that will let you know if you have
> a sun flare in your lens?

Wouldn't you see that with an EVF instead of an optical
viewfinder?

> . One that takes pictures on movement? (Bird flys into the frame.)

If that feature ever shows up I'd expect it to be for a DSLR first
rather than for a P&S.

> . Battery energy status based on usage? (Not terminal voltages, or
> maybe both).

I don't know for sure, but that seems to be a feature of some
devices that use rechargeable batteries, especially in laptop
computers. But maybe also in some cameras and/or PDA, as for
example Sony products that use "info. lithium" batteries.

> . Scriptable camera. Program your modes on the PC and upload
> to the camera?

You mean a PC and not a Zaurus? :)

> . Auto sports mode if the camera is moving (I'm running, falling.)
> They can already tell if they are vertical.

If I'm running and falling, I'd rather the camera quickly retract
the lens and power off.

> 'Watermark' picture date/time stamp. A subtile one, very much
> unlike Kodak's screeming yellow plaster. ONe that kinda blends
> into the picture (you have to look for it)

If their digital cameras are anything like their film cameras that
used a very unobtrusive date/time stamp, you might want to check
some of Nikon's models.

> . A camera that you can drop 3 feet on
> cement, and, not break. I'd pay for that.

Lens extended or only if powered off? The ones most likely to
survive a 3 foot drop are the one-time-use cameras that sell for
$6.99 in your local stores. Film based, but there'll be cheap,
relatively rugged digital versions too. But they're probably not
the ones you'd buy looking to get that feature. :)
May 5, 2005 11:03:46 PM

<hfs2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> . Scriptable camera. Program your modes on the PC and upload
> to the camera?

You're about 4 years late on this one :-)

See:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/digita/

-Josh
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:58:41 AM

<hfs2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering how things are developing.

You're trolling, right?
H.
May 6, 2005 4:30:18 AM

----------------big snip-------------

>> . A camera that you can drop 3 feet on
>> cement, and, not break. I'd pay for that.

A bit late to suggest that now.

It is no longer made, but you can still get them 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand, Nikon
F3. or F2 without the Photomic Head.

Roy G
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:30:19 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 00:30:18 GMT, Roy wrote:

>>> . Is there a point and shoot that will let you know if you have
>>> a sun flare in your lens?> some of Nikon's models.
> ----------------big snip-------------

> A bit late to suggest that now.
>
> It is no longer made, but you can still get them 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand, Nikon
> F3. or F2 without the Photomic Head.

Naw, you misread. Even though I had an original F and later the
Photomic-T version, I meant that some of Nikon's current digital P&S
cameras might have the desired type of date/time stamping. It was
neither of those two earlier models though, but a more recent Nikon
8008 with optional data back that provided the relatively
"unobtrusive" date (or sequence) stamping. The "pro" models put the
information between frames, not on the image itself. I didn't care
much for putting the data on the images, but for casual snapshots it
was fairly useful, and very easy to disable.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:43:39 AM

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> writes:
> Why? I use camera to take pictures not write code for. Frankly, I
> would spend several thousand dollar for a digital camera which was
> just like a Lecia 3G as far as the controls go and body.

http://www.adorama.com/MXLC340.html (mini digital M3 replica)

Or more seriously:

http://www.adorama.com/IESRD1.html (M mount digital rangefinder camera)
May 6, 2005 5:52:31 AM

> That looks like an old camera list.

I got mine in June 2001, so yeah...kinda old, esp. by technology standards.

> Did it catch on?

Not really....I found the flash adjustment scripts best, and the Save
Settings one was nice too, but I think that, as someone else said, people
want cameras to shoot pictures, not meddle around with programming.

> I would think by now people spending $1000 would DEMAND
> it.

Well, my new Z3 just ran me $350, and it does almost everything that the
digita scripts did for my HP without the need for adding on more scripts.

-Josh

> Josh wrote:
>> <hfs2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > . Scriptable camera. Program your modes on the PC and upload
>> > to the camera?
>>
>> You're about 4 years late on this one :-)
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/digita/
>>
>> -Josh

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:28:55 PM

On 06 May 2005 00:43:39 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> writes:
>> Why? I use camera to take pictures not write code for. Frankly, I
>> would spend several thousand dollar for a digital camera which was
>> just like a Lecia 3G as far as the controls go and body.
>
> http://www.adorama.com/MXLC340.html (mini digital M3 replica)
>
>Or more seriously:
>
> http://www.adorama.com/IESRD1.html (M mount digital rangefinder camera)

I have been tempted by that and if I hadn't just bought 20D and four
Canon lenses, I would look at it more seriously.

I think a good ranger finder which would use older Leica lenses and
was all manual would find a market.

!