Sign in with
Your question

Need help upgrading CPU/motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2012 8:10:58 PM

Hello everybody! I am new here and this is my first thread and I wanted to start out by saying thank you, I think it is just awesome to have a place like this to go if your somebody like me who is at my wits end and needs help in the worst way. My current computer's processor is dying on me. It freezes up on me if I run any higher cpu demanding programs. It's an older cpu anyways and it is time for an upgrade. Problem is I also need a new motherboard since the one I have now is a 939 socket and is pretty much obsolete. I am on a budget of around $200. I am pretty sure my mobo is a microatx but I am not 100% sure. Before I go any further here are the specs of my current computer:

Computer Brand Name: Compaq Presario 061 EX305AA-ABA SR1902HM NA630
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7601
Processor Name: AMD Sempron 3200+ (single core)
Motherboard Model: ASUS NAGAMI2L
Motherboard Chipset: nVidia GeForce 6150 (C51) + MCP51
Motherboard Slots: 3xPCI, 1xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16

These are the specs for the new graphics card I just bought that I plan on using with the new mobo/cpu that I buy:
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450
Video Chipset: ATI Radeon HD 6450 (CAICOS PRO)
Video Memory: 2048 MBytes of DDR3 SDRAM
Video Bus: PCIe v2.0 x16 (2.5 Gb/s) @ x16 (2.5 Gb/s)

I bought this graphics card to go along with my brand new Vizio 47" 3d television/monitor so that I can watch blu-ray and 3d movies straight from my computer. So basically I am asking for help finding a new (maybe refurbished) cpu/mobo combo for under $200 that will allow me to watch blu-ray and 3d movies with no problem, be able to run any game out there with no problem, and be able to run several programs at once if at all possible. I would like to stick with AMD processors since my old system is an AMD and my new graphics card is an AMD. I would also like for the mobo to be AM3 or AM3+ socket so that I will have more choices for when I have more money to upgrade later. It would be nice if I could also get at least 4gb of ddr3 ram with this but it is not a necessity. I believe that is everything. If hope I didn't write too much. If you need more info just let me know. Thank you for all of your help.

Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 21, 2012 6:46:52 AM

3b tech is a good company; done business with them. But newegg has better prices and newer merchandise. They take paypal and personal checks with special arrangement. Go with the newest tech you can get in the price range. And don't get a cheap power supply. Save some more money if needed or sell your old stuff on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum first and use the funds for your upgrade. Newegg also has "shellshocker" specials that give you everything you need except an operating system for around $250 or less. They had an Intel combo yesterday; they also have amd, but you have to check daily.
March 21, 2012 3:56:44 PM

What would it take for me to convert to intel? Could I just buy the mobo and cpu and would everything else I have be compatible? So there isn't anything you would recommend from that link I sent? I don't know if you saw it or not but I have already bought a brand new 475 watt power supply. I got it from a reputable computer store here in Gadsden Alabama.

I really am on a very tight budget here. I wish I could spend more than $200 but there just isn't anyway for me to do it right now. My little boy is turning two on the 25th so I am s-t-r-a-p-p-e-d for cash. That is why I liked the 3b tech combo deal because I could get at least 4 Gb of ram right now with the mobo and cpu for like $187. I am just worried that those processors and mobo aren't as nice as the ones on new egg. I noticed that the 3b deal that cpu is only 2.7 Ghz as opposed to the Zambezi you suggested which is 3.6Ghz and I believe the 3b processor is only a dual core and I thought it was a quad core.

What about the fact that the mobo you suggested only takes 8Gb of ram max? Is that enough? That is the only draw back I saw to it besides the fact it doesn't have pci x16 slots. Does it make a hugh difference to have two graphics cards running on one computer?

I really didn't want to sell my old stuff because I was going to set up another computer for my little girl with all my old parts. Plus like I said before my processor is crapping out on me. I don't think what I have would be worth much anyways. I don't have to worry about a new OS, I have that covered. ;) 

I am sorry for all of the questions. I thought I would have more people reply to me on here with suggestions but I am very thankful for you taking the time to help me. I have been on the computer 24/7 for the past two weeks doing my homework trying to figure out all these things myself. I have learned a whole lot but there comes a point and time where you have to ask for help.

I put the first letter of every question I had in BOLD to make them easier to find to answer.
THANKS AGAIN!!! :sol: 

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 21, 2012 8:19:27 PM

If you are on a tight budget, then the 3b tech combo will work. But you may not notice that much of a performance boost. If you can save a few dollars more and go with the 4100 (with board and ddr3) you'll be much happier with the performance difference. I missed the power supply; it should be fine for any upgrade with the 6450.
!