Sign in with
Your question

Cant update the bios on my asus M5a78L-M/usb3

Last response: in Motherboards
January 26, 2013 12:11:05 PM

i have purcahsed saints row 3 portal 2 and counterstrike global offensive on steam. when i try to play these games my computer crashes or i get the blue screed of death. i looked online and it is said that i need to update my bios. however when i go to update my bios with the ASUSUpdate tool that came on the cd with the mother board i click update from file the program will close, when i click update from online it will not connect to the websites. so i went on the asus website and downloaded the Bupdater tool however when i try to run the program i get an error saying " the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running check your computers system information to see whether you need a x86 (32bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the file then contact the software publisher" i have made sure that i have downloaded the 64 bit software however i still get this problem. i then decided to update the bios by putting the new bios which i got from the asus website onto a memory pen which is formatted to FAT32 and when i went into the bios and tried to update the bios i got the error "ROM ID in the file is incompatible with existing BIOS" and the bios will not update, i would greatly appreciate a reply as i have spent quite a bit on money on the games.

CPU : AMD FX6100
GPU : EVGA GTX 550TI
RAM : 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2013 12:56:35 PM

Are you sure, you downloaded the right bios for your mobo? Version 1503 is the one you need. The Bupdater tool is for DOS only. That's why you get the message.
January 26, 2013 1:09:35 PM

yes i downloaded version 1503 , and thanks for the info on the updater
February 11, 2013 3:13:41 PM

Hello jake,

I have the same board and als need the same bios update for a new cpu that I have purchased. All did was go to our motherboard on nthe asus website http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LMUSB3... and here you can download latest bios which you know for certain is the correct one. Then i Burnt this file (rom) on to a CD. Rebooted my PC , durinf boot up, i pressed DEL key and went into bios....tab along the top of this screen until you see Bios EZFLASH....confirm you wanna flash bios. Insert your cd with the new bios on it. Then on the EZ flash screen use the TAB key to move over to your cd drive letter IE d f g etc. Click on it. You should now see the rom file in the main screen , simply press enter and the rest is done for you.....hope this helps. My update was all good.
!