Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Location of an a8 mobile cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2012 8:45:01 PM

Hello!
I am looking at new laptops on newegg, and was going to get asamsung laptop. I would like to upgrade it to an a8-35xx cpu, one of the mx models that supports ddr3 1600 ram. but I cant seem to find any on ebay, craigslist, or amazon. anyone know where I could get one of these chips?

More about : location mobile cpu

a c 147 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2012 12:21:34 AM

Buy the laptop with it already installed. If a maker doesnt offer it then the board, power, or cooling can't support it anyways.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 1:10:42 AM

Yeah, it's generally somewhere between very difficult and impossible to replace a laptop CPU by yourself.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2012 8:47:28 PM

replacing it wont be a problem, Ive done it with several other laptops over the years. the laptops with one already equipped with an a8 cost $250 more, and I cant afford over $450. the idea is to upgrade later.
m
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a c 572 D Laptop
March 21, 2012 8:58:12 PM

Finding it will be more of a problem. And more expensive.
You don't normally find laptop chips in the retail marketplace (places like NewEgg, Amazon, TigerDirect, etc).
m
l

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
a c 572 D Laptop
March 21, 2012 9:09:59 PM

Google isn't turning up any hits on the APUs alone.
Nothing showing up for A8-3510MX / AMD A8-3530MX / AMD A8-3550MX
If you know a local computer repair shop - ask them if they can order an APU for you.
They have access to wholesale parts distributors and other sources you and I can't visit.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 9:11:44 PM

maybe in a year or you can buy them off ebay when people sell their savaged laptop parts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
March 21, 2012 10:05:03 PM

I guess supplies have finally run out but you can upgrade to an A8 MX from an A4 or A6 of any model. The ones that were on eBay and Amazon where somewhat broken that they didn't run at full clocks and seam to use more power than they should. I am talking about the 3530mx fiasco. I ended up with one but at the time didn't know that HP was selling them as well (fully working but more than double the price) and had bought one for $102 off eBay. cpu-z didn't report the actual speeds so people like my self and many others were fooled for a while until people started to notice that the benches didn't add up. Eventually people found out the real clocks and the chip locks at 1733mhz for both max overclock and turbo. The gpu and memory controller is the same as a normal 3530mx. The other models were not MX so no ddr3 1600. It has to be 1.5v kits for ddr3 1600 to work anyway. Gaming wise on this crippled chip isn't bad at all and have been playing skyrim lately on it while away from home.

The A4 is just to slow for real gaming and use, the two cores bottleneck the igp in cpu bound situations.

The memory controller on all of the APUs is just too slow to keep both the gpu and the cpu at their best.

The A6 is ok but very low clocks makes them unattractive.
The A8 is pretty rare and there are fewer on the market either as just the chip or complete laptop. Last time that I checked there were only two or three laptops that had it on newegg and almost all of them had A4s. Beyond that there was maybe one or two e2000s and every thing else was e-350s.

EDIT: HP was selling a few 3530mx samples on their site a little more than a week ago but at $230 for just the chip is just to high.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:26:13 PM

nforce4max said:
I guess supplies have finally run out but you can upgrade to an A8 MX from an A4 or A6 of any model. The ones that were on eBay and Amazon where somewhat broken that they didn't run at full clocks and seam to use more power than they should. I am talking about the 3530mx fiasco. I ended up with one but at the time didn't know that HP was selling them as well (fully working but more than double the price) and had bought one for $102 off eBay. cpu-z didn't report the actual speeds so people like my self and many others were fooled for a while until people started to notice that the benches didn't add up. Eventually people found out the real clocks and the chip locks at 1733mhz for both max overclock and turbo. The gpu and memory controller is the same as a normal 3530mx. The other models were not MX so no ddr3 1600. It has to be 1.5v kits for ddr3 1600 to work anyway. Gaming wise on this crippled chip isn't bad at all and have been playing skyrim lately on it while away from home.

The A4 is just to slow for real gaming and use, the two cores bottleneck the igp in cpu bound situations.

The memory controller on all of the APUs is just too slow to keep both the gpu and the cpu at their best.

The A6 is ok but very low clocks makes them unattractive.
The A8 is pretty rare and there are fewer on the market either as just the chip or complete laptop. Last time that I checked there were only two or three laptops that had it on newegg and almost all of them had A4s. Beyond that there was maybe one or two e2000s and every thing else was e-350s.

EDIT: HP was selling a few 3530mx samples on their site a little more than a week ago but at $230 for just the chip is just to high.

very true, but the a4 graphics would actually be better. my laptop (asus k53ta) will automatically disable integrated graphics in an a4 and just use the 6650m. the main laptop game I play (sins of a solar empire) is single threaded, so the dual core might work better.
then again, mabye I should just return it and get a laptop with an a8 installed, and pick up an a8-35xxmx later on.
m
l
April 3, 2012 5:31:13 PM

out of curiosity, would the a4 pull less power then the a6? they have the same TDP. and, can you get a blu-ray drive for the asus k53?
m
l
July 19, 2012 4:58:03 AM

Best answer selected by TheinsanegamerN.
m
l
!