My specs
  • Intel Core i5 2500
  • Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3
  • 2x Kingston 4GB 1600MHz
  • ASUS Xonar Essence STX
  • EVGA 670GTX
  • WD Caviar Black 1TB

Bought SSD + RAM
    Most of my friends have an SSD and I finally assembled the finances to get one myself, the OCZ Vertex 4. I also bought 2x Kingston 4GB 1600MHz (exact same as mine).

What I did before SSD arrived?
  • Updated BIOS from Old to EUFI (uca1)

What I did after SSD arrived?
  • Installed SSD
  • Installed RAM
  • Booted ---> "Windows Starting" (logo) and it froze. (And sometimes Reboot)

What I tried whilst still having the EUFI BIOS?
  • in the BIOS tried to see what the Sata Controller said:
  • - tried AHCI mode ---> Nothing
  • - tried IDE mode ---> Nothing

• Put in the Windows 7 installation DVD:
  • - Finishes "Windows is loading files" but after wards --> Reboot/crash

• Reverted / flashed BIOS to OLD version (non-EUFI)

What I tried when having the OLD (F9) version?
  • Load the Optimized Defaults
  • --> Win 7 freeze/crash @ Logo and Install Disc
  • CMOS cleared (removed battery for 60 seconds)
  • --> Same problems as above
  • Setting SATA controller to: ACHI and IDE
  • --> Same problems as above
  • Turning off HPET
  • --> Same problems
  • Tried Ubuntu installation disk:
  • --> Same problems --> it crashed.
  • Tried different Windows 7 installation disc:
  • --> Same problems
  • Removed old HDD, tried clean install on SSD
  • --> Same problems (Windows install disc > Loading Files > Black Screen/Crash)
  • Removed SSD, installed old HDD (containing Win7 install)
  • --> Same problems
  • Removed all but 1 RAM stick:
  • --> Same problem
  • Removed Sound Card:
  • Guess what? Same problem.

I can get into Safe Mode!
    I guess that's somewhat positive right? So, I tried the following:
  • In MSConfig:
  • --> Disabling all Services and Start-up programs
  • -->> Reboot --> Same problems.
  • Removed videocard drivers:
  • -->> Reboot --> Same problems.

Other things I tried
    I also tried reverting / flashing back to a older BIOS version (F8). Same problems with everything above.

I am at my wits' end.
    I have to add that all the BIOS flashes were "Successful". So, I don't get it. I think I've almost tried everything. I also tried to turn off the Auto (overclock)boost Intel technology.

My question:
    Is my motherboard broken?
    If I purchase a new one, will it fix the issues?
    If so, how do I properly install Windows 7 on the SSD?

If you are able to help me, if you think something might be an issue, please let me know! I will try anything to try and fix this issue!

Thanks in advance!

a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 26, 2013 2:39:32 PM

You listed most components but you didn't mention the MOST component in your system. What power supply is installed? Have you tried a different GPU?
    January 26, 2013 2:44:26 PM

My power supply is the Corsair TX 650, it's from September last year.

I haven't tried a different GPU yet, will do that in 30 to 45 minutes.
    Related resources
    a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 26, 2013 2:52:23 PM

You have a good PSU, but have you checked voltages to make sure they're in specs? At a minimum check what's displayed in the BIOS.
    January 26, 2013 2:55:37 PM

Will do in 30 min, ill keep you updated.
    January 26, 2013 3:48:22 PM

Hey there,

I looked at the power values, they seem to be right.

I also tried starting the PC with a different Graphics Card, nothing changed.

However, I did find something interesting:

When I have my SSD-drive only connected, and I have it load directly from the "Empty" new SSD. It gives me the following error message:

"" Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your Computer".

I have a recovery DVD, however, it does not work. It is "Loading Windows files" then afterwards it reboots my computer and nothing happens.

a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 26, 2013 4:15:13 PM

You most likely get that error because you installed the OS on the SSD when both the hard disk and the SSD were connected to the motherboard. Only the drive on which the OS is to be installed should be connected; otherwise the boot manager is installed on the first drive (the hard disk) and the system no longer boots when you disconnect it.

Edit: It also is possible that your OS is corrupted as your system is unstable. Before replacing other parts, try another PSU.
    January 26, 2013 4:22:18 PM

I will try a other PSU in a few minutes.

Can you tell me what the options are if the PSU is working fine?
    January 26, 2013 4:46:36 PM

I would run a Memtest on the RAM modules to rule out faulty memory.
    Here is the link: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

I would run it overnight or at least a good 6 to 8 hours.
    I once purchased RAM and within a span of a couple of weeks, I was getting all kinds of issues, like BSOD or reboots, just hairy to say the least then it was confirmed as bad memory, the two new sticks of all things!
    January 26, 2013 4:49:22 PM

@ ELMO
    Thanks for your reply. Already done memtest, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the memory.

@ GhislainG
    I tried a different, as powerful PSU, and it did not change anything I'm afraid.

Do you think it might be the motherboard that is messed up? Is it safe to purchase a new motherboard with the knowledge that it will fix my issues?

Or is the "Windows Boot Manager" issue an serious issue.
    January 26, 2013 5:01:30 PM

Have you reset the BIOS by jumping the CLR_CMOS jumper?

It seems that your board is up to date as it pertains to the SSD its a P67 chipset.
    And you do have the SSD connected to SATA3_0/1 of the board and what about the SATA cable, is it old/new?

What about installing the OS on a simple HDD for testing purposes?

Sorry, just trying to assist without having you run around purchasing new parts and stuff!

January 26, 2013 5:12:42 PM

@ ELMO
    Don't apologize, any help is much appreciated! I don't really want to buy new stuff either, I have a lot of financial pressure at the moment.

Right, to answer your questions:

1) I reset the BIOS by turning off the system, remove the power cable, then removed the Battery. After 30 to 60 seconds I put the Battery back in it's place and plugged the power cable back in. Afterwards I started the computer and it did gave me a notification: I loaded the optimized defaults, as is standard, I think.

2)
    --a) Yes, I have it connected to the first White port. (Check the following picture: http://usdn3.nodevice.com/static/models_photo/big/040/g... ).

--b) I used the blue SATA cables that came with the motherboard. (Check this picture: http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/gigabyte-ga-p... )

3) I can't seem to load even the Windows 7 Install disc. As soon as it has "Loaded Windows Files..." it either blackscreens and does nothing; or it just simply crashes and reboots the PC.
    January 26, 2013 5:25:38 PM

So, what would you guys agree upon if you looked at everything I tried and did.

Broken motherboard, due to my stupidness?

Or, maybe some BIOS setting I didn't look at yet?

If it's a broken motherboard, could the CPU be affected as well? Should I also look into a new CPU?
    January 26, 2013 6:09:23 PM

What about installing the OS via a bootable USB stick? When I downloaded Windows 8 Pro, one of the options was to create a bootable DVD which after a few attempts did not work upon installation. I then created a bootable USB and that did the trick.

Another option would be to boot with an Ubuntuu Live disk/usb and if that works then the system i.e. mobo, ram and processor and PSU and possibly the GPU are all fine.
    January 26, 2013 6:31:18 PM

Well, I did try a Ubuntu install disk before and I did try Windows 7 on a USB stick as well (same results).

But I said "Ubuntu install disk" is it something else as a "Ubuntu Live disk"?

January 26, 2013 9:01:46 PM

Does anyone know what to do here?

At the moment I'm running another memtest86+, some people are saying that it might not be a Motherboard issue at all.

What do you guys think?
    January 26, 2013 9:21:41 PM

The live disk allows you to boot up without a need for a hdd or ssd. All the boot information resides on the Live Cd - basically the CD is the HDD/SSD.
    January 26, 2013 10:07:30 PM

@ ELMO
    I tried a that definition of a live disc already, also did not boot.

a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 26, 2013 10:26:25 PM

The next logical step would be to replace the motherboard and if that doesn't fix the issue, then replace the CPU (or the reverse if easier). Is the motherboard still under warranty? Can you test your CPU in another system?
    January 26, 2013 10:36:16 PM

Not under warranty anymore and I can't. But I can't see how the CPU is the culprit when I can still get into Safe Mode.
    January 27, 2013 12:11:41 AM

I hope anyone can give me an answer as to what might the problem be (99% certainty).

The reason I ask this is that I need to order parts within 14 hours, otherwise I am screwed for work :( .

Hopefully someone can tell me what else to analyse to be able to disclose if it's a RAM-related issue or a Motherboard-related issue.
    a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 27, 2013 12:38:54 AM

You can easily determine if the RAM is the issue or not. Use only one module at 1333MHz and if it doesn't help, then it has to be something else.
    Quote:
    Not under warranty anymore and I can't. But I can't see how the CPU is the culprit when I can still get into Safe Mode.
    Using that logic, it can't be the motherboard since you can get into Safe Mode. Honestly there's no way to determine with 99% certainty that the motherboard is the issue. Have you tested everything outside of the case before assembling it? Since you need to remove the motherboard to replace it, why not test it outside of the case? The chances that it will work are slim, but it's worth a try.
    January 27, 2013 1:15:46 AM

I'll do that tomorrow, thanks for the help. It's 4 am here, I need to get some sleep :( .

I hope I can find the issue: if it's either RAM or Motherboard since that decides what I'm going to order if I can fix the issue.
    January 27, 2013 11:39:37 AM

Hey guys,

So, nothing works basically. I tried everything you guys suggested and more. But I can't load Windows Installation Discs, nor the Ubuntu Install disc, USB-setups also don't work. I can't start Windows 7 normally, gets stuck on the logo or get's slightly past it at crashes/reboots.

Is this typical of a Motherboard BIOS screw-up? Like I said: intotal I flashed the motherboard like 3 times, successfully, but still. I also did CMOS Hard resets, nothing worked.

Would love an answer as it will decide if I'm going to order a new motherboard. I hope that fixes the issue as, like I stated before, I need to the PC for work.
    a c 229 V Motherboard
    January 27, 2013 12:35:01 PM

If you need the PC for work, then you have no option other than getting a new motherboard. It hopefully will resolve your issue, but you should make sure that it can be returned it if it doesn't help. Since it's your work PC, can't you bring it to a reputable shop that could test it?
    January 27, 2013 1:17:19 PM

I won't be able to get it to a shop that could test it. There aren't any proper shops in the neighbourhood and the closest one stated that it would take them 48 hours and I need my PC Tuesday.

If I order the parts today, I will get them on tuesday morning and will be able to get it ready before work. If not real issues occur.

January 27, 2013 1:59:38 PM

Hello...

If it is indeed very important that you have a system in place for work purposes then IMHO I would bite the bullet and order all new parts. I do understand your present situation but I suppose it would be less of a hassle to have a working system rather than a half-baked system (partially functioning).

Maybe the unused parts can be returned.

I do really hope it works out for you and wish you the best in both the new build and your employment opportunities.
    January 27, 2013 2:11:28 PM

@ ELMO

Thanks a lot, that's really kind of you.

I just wanted to let you know that I ordered the ASRock z77 Extreme4 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance (Low Profile Blue). The memory is to make sure that the memory wasn't the issue as a precaution.

I hope this works.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    a b V Motherboard
    December 31, 2013 8:08:02 PM

I would have guessed u have a software config problem still if u were able to boot into safe mode. safe mode uses most of the hardware (ram cpu hard drives a lot of the motherboard) safe mode only disables drivers and startup services. so this brings me to my question. Is the disk ur using to try to reinstall windows an Microsoft disk or a manufacture's disk (like from hp, dell, ect) there is a difference in how they work
    !