American Computer in Australia.

calakiduki

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hi guys,
I've wanted an alienware desktop for some time now and they have recently released a new version of their Alienware Aurora.
Now, the Australian website is charging about $4600 for the configuration that i want, where as the USA website is only charging around $3000 for the same setup.
My question was, If i buy the computer from the american website and use it in australia, would there be any power issues?
For example, will it run at the same speed, will the psu work properly, and could the psu explode on me?

Also, if anybody knows about alienwares desktops - would it be possible to buy the american desktop and put in my own australian PSU? does it connect to the motherboard the same as US ones do?
any help is appreciated

And before i get the usual "alienware is overpriced build your own" - its my money, and i want the alienware ;)

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Are you plug differnt like UK standard and Bro I would recomend building your own PC or have someone do it for you because for that kind of cash you can have the best of the best and Aleinware does not give you the best of the best they give you hype and shiny but chop the balls off the system to off set cost to them.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

There will be a switch on the outside of the PSU if it is a newer quality one it will automatically switch bye itself internally from 115/230 depending on your Country Canada uses 115 so I am assuming Aussies will use 230 but then again you never know what kinda cheap junk DELL is using for the PSU in there AleinWare line.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
The US website will not send to Aus. Unfortunately they aren't that stupid. You might struggle to find a US Alienware reseller that will send it over. I have heard of US websites that operate as a 3rd party, that will accept delivery on your behalf and then send it over for a small fee... with a transaction of that size... I wouldn't.

So far I haven't even found a way to get parts over here from the US. So unless you want to rethink that last sentence of your original post... if you want Alienware you have to pay the high price :)

Theoretically you could change out the PSU to an Aus compliant one and you'd be away.

Sorry to be the bad news guy... I have even read on a few website forums over the years horror stories of Aus customs seizing shipment and then imposing import taxes at a high rate.