Why does my wired computer connect wirelessly

In the TCPIP binding order, for some reason Windows puts the wireless connection first almost every time. If you have both wired and wireless networks enabled, both will connect, but the wireless with be used first. If you don't want to use the wireless at all, disable the adapter. Don't remove it, just disable it.

trick29420

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the help. Turns out it was a driver issue. something about my TCP/IP serial bus controllers or something like that. I used DriverMax to find out what needed updating and went from there. Although there is still a "Unknown Device" that needs a new driver, but i just don't know which piece of hardware it is!!.

Thanks again.

If you have a driver issue, check the vendor's web-page and look for drivers for your model there. You did not seem to give full details in the post, from the sound of your post, you had both wired and wireless network connected but were wondering why the wireless was working. Was the issue the fact that your ethernet link was not working at all?

For drivers, you want to first install the Chipset Drivers, then networking, Video, USB, etc...

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Sorry to rehash an old thread but it seems relevant to my question and thought it was better to ask it here.

I have my PC connected to my wireless router via ethernet which is the method I prefer to use for internet. Though I want to be able to connect to the router wirelessly to access my wireless printer but, as stated above, Windows 7 prioritises wireless over lan for internet connection meaning that the pc defaults to use the wireless for net connection. Any ideas?

budest

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks for that mate.

What do you mean "You can access your wireless print server just fine over the wire" ? Is that not a contradictory statement accessing wireless over the wire?