Hard drive stopping me from buying my PC

Andre2807

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys. Hard drive prices as you all know have been hiked up terribly. Here in South Africa, internal hard drives 1Tb was R600 = $75. The world shortage caused the hard drives to skyrocket in price from R600 to R1800. That's a $150 price increase!

Now down to business. I have an external hard drive. Samsung Story. 1TB. I would just like to know what the possibility is, to take the hard drive out of it's enclosure, connecting it via a SATA port and using it as the internal hard drive. (booting windows, installing games and programs)

Anyways, my build is:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
Motherboard: Asus P8H67 V
RAM: Corsair XMS3 4Gb 1333Mhz
Graphics Card: Gainward GTX 560 Ti Phantom
Power Supply: Corsair CX600

Solution

I don't see any problems...

I don't see any problems with your idea, but I don't know anything about the Samsung story. Sometimes those external drives have proprietary software that precludes this kind of use, but you would want to format before putting an OS on there anyway. So make sure you can remove all partitions and format the drive prior to a fresh install. You could use windows to do this beforehand.

The HD prices actually make SSD boot drives more attractive.

Solution

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I agree here. Buying a small SSD (40-60GB) to place OS and applications on seems very appealing currently and then use a cheap external or flash drive or something to store any necessary media on until internal HDD prices return to "normal".