Want all case fan LEDs to go off on "sleep mode"

sarmstrong806

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Case: Cooler master elite 430

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3)

Currently the in case fan LEDs turn off when the monitor goes to sleep (its plugged into the sys fan port on mobo)

I want to add these Rosewill LED fans

Obviously some of them will need to go directly to the PSU through molex adapters since there are not enough spots on the mobo.

My question is that what dictates whether the fan LEDs turn on or off. Will they do the same if they are directly into the PSU?

How can I rig this setup so that all fan LEDs go dark at night.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
This is going to be a tough job.

the LED's draw their power from the same wire that runs the fan itself.
easiest is going to be joining them together and run off a 4pin PSU connector.
rig up a switch after they are together and b4 the 4pin connector and then you can turn them off at will (will turn off the LED and the FAN)

you will not be able to control the speed this way (on full speed all the time)

other option is to add a fan controller that has an off setting for the fans.
that way you can control the speed and turn them off when needed.
something like below (dont know if it supports fans totally off)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998065

as for an automatic TURN off when computer enters sleep. there is no such thing.

Have you considered hibernate rather than sleep. that way no matter how you plug the fans in (via 4pin Molex or using the 3pin fan header) they will turn off when the system hibernates.

sarmstrong806

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Ahh, yes hibernate. The fan is not turning off now because I removed hibernate for SSD tweak, so that must have been it.

I thought of buying a 6 fan controller for the 5.25" bay, but turning them off and on would be annoying.

I may just use hibernate if that will shut off all fans (or hopefully at least the LEDs).

I guess I could test mobo header vs. PSU to see what happens.

My room has no windows so you can imagine why this is critical.

popatim

Titan
The fans and light should shut off when the pc goes to sleep as the only thing running would be the 5v standby. I dont beleive mine fan led's turn off when the monitor goes to sleep and dont see how they could if they're attached to the motherbd, theres no seperate line for led control.

sarmstrong806

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
So I set sleep to 1 minute and the case LED did turn off.

I guess I will need to see whether a Molex PSU fan will behave the same way, since the one LED fan is connected to the "sys fan" header.

Otherwise I could split my mobo headers to power all fans.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Be carefull the load you put on the fan header on ur motherboard when trying to run all fans off the same header.

do you have any other spare fan headers on ur motherboard (i would try with 2 fans on the header and use 2 headers)

Directly connecting the fans to the PSU will result in them not turning off when the system sleeps.
if they are connected to the mobo this may work

hibernate will work even if they are directly connected to the PSU