System Crashes

liamf1986

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

I've recently built my new PC, specs below, it frequently crashes though.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD53 (b3)
Graphics: XFX HD 6790
RAM: 8gb Corsair DDR 3
Harddrive: 120gb Corsair Force Seris 3 SSD
PSU: 550W Antec TruePower

Symptoms:
-Its not giving BSOD or anything the screen simply all defaults to one colour (Sometimes repeating vertical lines).
The color is rarely the same but as far as I can tell it is using one of the colors displayed on screen at the time of the crash.
-The sound locks on whatever it is doing at the time so its just continuous noise.
-Crashes mostly happen while looking around in windows. Generally at the exact point that I interact with something, like closing/minimising a window, typing into a text box, scrolling up/down a window.
-Only game I've played on it so far is wow, and swtor, as a tester. It has never crashed within game. Crashed once in the opening menu exactly as I pressed the accept button but thats it. I've played these games for hours in a row to see if it would.

"Remedy":
The only way to restore the machine is a hard reset. Interestingly the machine will auto boot up again after the hard reset, it only does this after the crash.

Steps taken:
-I've updated all the drivers I know of (for my motherboard I've done it manually and through the software provided, Live Update 5)
-Installed all Windows Updates
-Formatted and Re-installed windows
-I ran memtest for a couple of passes and it was ok, still need to do a full 7 pass test.
-Calculated my power supply, 550W should be enough.

Its really stumped me. Anyone have any ideas or seen anything similar?

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
This sounds like a video card problem to me. I had a 4850 that did this b/c it was over heating.

Do you get any sort of error and have you checked the log to see what happened?

liamf1986

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Yeah windows is on the SSD. Don't have any other drives handy to test on atm.

liamf1986

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

I was thinking Graphics at first aswell. I've ran the card in another machine no problem, that was a vista 32bit installation though.

It doesn't give any errors. Which log do you mean?
I looked in ControlPanel>AdministrativeTools>EventViewer and managed to find the crash but couldn't make any sense of it. Gonna look at it again after work more thoroughly.

liamf1986

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
I eventually got to the bottom of this.

The SSD was crashing.

I RMA'd it got my replacement and it seems stable now.

Thanks for the replies.