MS-7357 & 5770 compatibility.

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I was just wondering if the MSI G33M (MS-7357) motherboard supports the 5770 video card. I've read places that it does and some others that it doesn't and was just trying to get a final opinion.
If it does however support the video card are there any specific steps I need to take to install it. I've got the Sapphire Vapor-X version of the card and I've tried installing Catalyst to get it working and to no avail. I've tried uninstalling the onboard chipset just incase there was conflict issues and still no avail.
I can post system specs etc, if you need them but I dont know alot about computers so I was unsure what to specify.
Another question is, the 5770 comes with a VGA port (I think thats what its called where you put the cable from it to the monitor) and with my old motherboard I connected it to the video card and then to the screen to get a picture.
But with the new system the VGA port seems to be run through the motherboard and when I try connect it through the video card I get no signal, so ideally to get it working would the VGA cord run from the video card to the monitor or from the motherboard to the monitor with the 5770 working?
Sorry for posting so much but I've got alot of questions.

Any responses are much appreciated.

My suspicion is that the board has PCIe X16 version 1.x slot which will possible make it incompatible with version 2.1 cards but will work fine with version 2.0 cards. This would explain why some say it works and others not since the HD5770 is/was available in both versions.

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I still can't find on the site wether its 2.0 or 2.1 but it does look identical to the 2.1 card from the newegg link. I was reading through the system requirements on the site and it just states that you need a X16 graphics slot available but doesn't specify what version is needed. Guess that doesn't matter?

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The thread is basically saying that my motherboard does support it but I need to update my BIOS? I have no idea where to look in order to find the right BIOS upgrade to make my slot recognize 2.1 cards. Any ideas?

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I'm happy to go any route just to get it working. The only reason I'm going through all this trouble is that I was playing on a Q8200 processor until I found out my old Q6600 is just as fast and with OC'ing potential is quite a bit faster. I can't OC my Q8200 cause its locked so I'm going back to the Q6600.

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I went through all the categories on the 2nd option and ended up with 5770 but then its got all these options like R5770 Hawk, R5770-PM2D1G etc and I'm not sure which 1 to choose. Any ideas?

BIOS update for the motherboard. (I believe yours is OEM and not supported by MSI)

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
MSI G33M (MS-7357), thats my motherboards name. Sorta gives it away that it's an MSI motherboard doesn't it? It says MSI on the board itself, so I'm assuming it is?

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah that's the one. I installed Intel INF Drivers for 3/4/5 Chipsets and Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers but as for the BIOS. Version 1.4, I'm assuming the newest doesn't mention anything about 2.1 support or would it just not mention it at all even if it did fix it?

zakattak80

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
i looked for it to specify support but couldn't find it, but i would update it and see if that does fix it. lot of times they only give you a broad summary of what it updates and don't really go in deep.

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The respect I have for you sir is unmatched. It fixed it and the video card is now running through the card and not the motherboard. Everythings working, thank-you so much and everyone else who helped in this thread to fix my problem. Much appreciation. <3

zakattak80

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
no prob, bios seems to be the last thing on people's list when troubleshooting even tho it's job is to read the hardware while booting. also you well enjoy that card as i have one and runs nice and cool.

kyrouky

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
It's crazy allready, the Q8200 while being about a yr and half newer was bottlenecking it heaps and I only just realised. On it with everything maxed on League of Legends for example I was only pulling 45fps, now I'm a constant 85fps. Crazy results allready. :)