CPU crashing in some games

benjanini61

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
My CPU crashes in some games and its very annoying. By crash i mean the screen freezes but the sound continues for 3 seconds or so then i just get a BUUUURRGHHHHHHHH coming from my speakers and i have to restart with power button. For e.g. i can play bf3 on ultra 1080p for any amount of time i want while my CPU is OC from 3ghz to 3.45ghz. Whereas if i play witcher 2 at the same OC it wont last more than 5mins. And i have to reduce the OC and voltage to play. I have the latest drivers for everything (chipset im not sure about as i cant find where to get new drivers), aswell as recently updating bios (which included new CPU code) and im pritty certain its not heat issues. Possible my *** quality PSU? But who knows i need your help!!
Thanks, Ben

My Rig:
Windows 7 64-bit
WD 7200rpm 500gb
MSI Twin Frozr III Power Edition HD 6950 2gb
AMD Athlon II X4 640 3Ghz
Asrock N68C-S UCC
Kingston 4Gb DDR3 133mhz
G7 power extreme 680W PSU

hashim21

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Man do you use any Trainer or Cheats, That May be the Reason. I've played many games but after using trainers they become unresponsive. Have you overclocked your graphics. they main reason could be the settings. if you play at full HD 1080p or more higher resolution it tends to use most of the ram and the graphics and this in return crashes.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Different games utilize the cpu in different ways, Its an unstable overclock or memory glitch at that speed thats causing the issue. As long as your temps are ok, try bumping the voltage a little bit more, possibly up the ram voltage also.