Sign in with
Your question

PC shuts down and restarts continuously

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2011 12:32:42 PM

Hello,

My computer shuts down and restarts continuously. It stays on for about 5 minutes on the first startup but thereafter it reboots repeatedly staying on for about 10 seconds. No BSOD. I have cleaned everything and reseated properly, checked the BIOS temperatures and everything's normal (Actually, CPU temp. once reached 99 before I cleaned the heatsink and reseated it).

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 (Stock Cooler)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E PRO
Graphics: ASUS Radeon HD 5870
RAM: 4gb Corsair XMS DDR 3
Harddrive: 500gb WD Caviar Green
PSU: Cooler Master GX550

Possible Suspects
: Mobo, PSU

Mobo LED is always ON though. And I have tried turning on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip. It passes the test. Does that rule out PSU?

I'm really freaked out. Help guys please
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2011 12:57:42 PM

This sounds like a heat problem. Verify that your heatsink is properly attached. When you cleaned the HSF, did you reuse the thermal compound or put on new compound?
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:01:53 PM

Yes... sounds like an overheat... if you leave it for a few hours... can you run it again for 5 minutes?... the fact that it runs for a bit, then shuts off and does not run for very long indicates something overheated and needs to cool down... Typically its the processor.... did you overclock anything.. That stock cooler is HORRIBLE.. Agree with COLGeeK - did you apply thermal paste to the heatsink after cleaning it?

That temp the processor reached may have damaged it, but I am not really sure... mine got to the 90's once during overclock testing but did not cause any permanent damage...
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2011 1:03:38 PM

I reused the thermal compound. But if it is a heat problem, it should have shown up in the temps right?
I have not overclocked my PC. It is running at stock speeds
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:07:04 PM

Yes and no... i would say to try a BIOS update, but that may fail during updating and "brick" your mobo... Can you run a stress test? Like booting to PC Check and run a stress test and see if it fails quickly? Check temps in Windows using a CPU Temp program or something.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2011 1:17:20 PM

I never recommend reusing thermal compound. Doing so often creates voids between the HSF and the CPU. Voids are bad for heat dissappation.

Also, I am not a fan (no pun intended) of the Intel OEM HSFs. They typically don't mount all that securely. For a couple bucks, you can get a much better HSF and alleviate any issues with the HSF.

I highly recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (or 212 EVO).
m
l
December 15, 2011 1:22:40 PM

I have that processor with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and it's a BEAST... temps are always low even at high usage and full stress test in Prime 95... I second that Cooler... :) 

I hope he didn't really mean "re-use"... I hope he meant he re-applied NEW thermal paste....???
m
l
February 11, 2012 4:56:57 PM

Really sorry about the delay guys..

The problem turned out to be my PSU .. I checked it using another PSU and ran tests without any failure.. I got a replacement for the faulty Power Supply and all is well now..

Thanks guys for your help.
m
l
!