sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Specs are:
I7 920 at 2.66
Zotac GTX580 + Asus 580
G1 sniper motherboard
6GB of ram

I thought this would run at steady 60fps but it dips to 41 when im in large outdoors area was i wrong? i checked the GPU load and when im staring at wall up close it goes to about 100% on both cards but when i look at a big open area the load drops to roughly 50% for each card.

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Wha kind of cooler would you recommend? and how i high should i overclock it? i tried going to 3.0 with the stock cooler but it was too hot to keep it going for long i didnt notice any difference at all in crysis2 at 3.0

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

To go to 3ghz you really shouldn't need a bump in vcore which means you shouldn't see a huge jump in temps. How how are you talking on the stock cooler?

The hyper 212 plus is like $26 on newegg and should be plenty to get that cpu up to 3.3-3.6ghz easily with decent temps. I used it on my i5-750 to go to 3.6ghz 24/7 with very little bump in v-core and to 4.2ghz on my i7-2600k with one tic above stock v-core. Both maxed out at around 57C under prime95.

A 920 can easily go to 3.5ghz without any vcore changes. I didn't need to adjust the vcore until 3.7ghz, but a heat sink, like the hyper 212+ is needed. That said, I'm not 100% sure you will see much improvement with a CPU boost. I'm not sure how CPU demanding Crysis 2 is.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

My setup runs Crysis 2 with the DX11 and high res texture pack @ 1920x1200 at well over 60fps and never drops. That being said it's VERY demanding with both add ons.

i7-2600k @ 4.2ghz
SLI GTX 570's
8gigs 1600mhz DDR3

He's got better GPU's than I do so I'd say it's the CPU that's bottlenecking him right now.

Jurgens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I get a steady 31fps with my GTX460 and i3 2100 on the highes settings on 1080p.. thats on dx 10. if i get the same fps on dx 11. there is most definitly something wrong with you pc

My CF 5850s average over 60fps in Crysis 2 with the HD addons and I'm on an i5 750 @ 4ghz. The game is surprisingly CPU intensive. Like, a solid 80% usage.

OP: Considering you've spent about $1500 on graphics card, you should probably consider it extremely worthwhile to buy a solid CPU cooler and get that i7 up to speed. While the Hyper 212+ is great bang for your buck, I'd actually say go for something beefier like a Noctua, Zalman Extreme, Magahalems (sp?), or even a Corsair H60 water cooler.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
you will be amazed with the improvement after overclocking your chip to 3.5/3.6ghz <-pretty safe margin of overclock too with the 920.

Search around, there are loads of common settings people tend to use depending on the motherboard. Google overclocking for your motherboard and cpu and see if you can dig up some info.

Also remember to keep tabs on your voltage and temps using 3rd party programs you can open at will on your desktop such as cpuz (for clockspeeds & voltages) and core temp (for temperatures across all cores)

Your first step before all of this is to find yourself a decent heatsink and fan. Most good brands will also provide their own thermal paste. Also read up on how to correctly and how much paste to put on.

Couple of things to be aware of when it comes to some heatsinks.

* Is the heatsink bracket compatible with the socket, yours; lga 1366
* will the heatsink interfere with anything on your motherboard ie; touching memory sticks
* is your case large enough to accommodate
*most of all, will it do the job? read several reviews and recommendations to get the jiff of whats commonly used and successful.

Also +1 for the notcua. The d12 and d14 are very efficient coolers and they also supply their own decent thermal paste. The d14 is bigger than the d12 though but both are very quiet and effective. I'm using a d12 on my 920 @ 3.6ghz and my max temps are average 60c. Big difference compared to the standard crap isnt it ;P

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Ok its probably the cpu bottlenecking, although if im running crysis 2 at DX9 i get steady 60fps. And when i overclocked to 3.0 i only changed the BCLK setting not sure if thats the correct way. The chip went to like 100 celcius running prime95 so that was a no go. Im looking at the Cooler master V6GT it looks pretty sick and i think i can push the air out towards the back fan which is pretty big then pull that air out of the case, seems like it would work good.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
not sure about the cm v6gt but the noctua d12 looks like of similar size and it fits in my anterc 902 as well. Do you have heatspreaders on your memory? could be a problem. Some mobos have their dims slots too close to the cpu :\

sedriss

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
If u mean Heatsinks on my ram, i do but its not huge and my motherboard is the G1 sniper its a gaming board made for SLI so im guessing it was designed for overclocking also.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If your heat spreaders aren't as high as the Corsair Vengeance’s then most likely you'll be fine with any tower/large heatsink. Still, check the dimensions first, measure memory sticks and be sure youll have the clearance before spending your money to avoid hidden surprises.

And you'll do absolutely fine overlocking your cpu on that motherboard. Look for guides (for your motherboard) there will possibly be other settings you might want to look into to achieve a more stable overclock. For a mild 3.6ghz overclock there won’t be too much into it, a few settings here and there, certainly won’t be a full bios page full of changes.

Yeah I have a 902 as well and just about any heatsink will fit. I used a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme for a while and that thing is massive.

As mentioned, RAM is the biggest issue with fit. Generally speaking you can usually consider the RAM slot closest to the cooler to be sacrificed (not always though), but that's about it. So if that slot is open then I doubt there will be a problem, plus the G1 Sniper is a pretty big mobo if I'm not mistaken.

TRENDING THREADS