PSU - 550W enough?

Hello,

So I've heard a lot that the newegg PSU calculator isn't very good, but I'm going to be overclocking, so at this point I'm pretty confused. I'll be overclocking (moderately) on both my CPU and GPU. Here's my upcoming (haven't built it yet) build:


CPU: i5-2500k (or if the i5 3750k comes out in April, I'll get that one)

Mobo: ASRock Pro3 Gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157279

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119233

HDD: Crucial 256GB SSD

GPU: GTX 560 ti (OR the Radeon 7850. From what I've seen, the wattage isn't that different)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191

Probably no disk drive. I've got a USB one... also, I have one 1680x1050 hp f2105 (I know... old) monitor. It's got an adapter of its own (doesn't leech power from desktop), but I don't know if extra power goes into that. I've heard the the GTX 560ti can get up past 350 watts on overclocked, and as I'm overclocking CPU as well, I don't know if this PSU can keep up: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Can it? I think I'm cutting it a little close...
11 answers Last reply
More about 550w enough
  1. I think you're cutting it a bit too close too but it should work just with no room to add much else.
  2. For not much more you can get a good corsair enthusiast series 650W PSU and have some headroom to spare.
  3. abekl said:
    For not much more you can get a good corsair enthusiast series 650W PSU and have some headroom to spare.

    Ooooo... Japanese construction :love: . You have me intrigued! I think it comes out to less than the Antec I had, with rebate and the promo code (which I won't be able to use. I'm buying in like late April). I have been told to be wary of "green" PSUs. Is the bronze rating on this similar?

    Thanks, by the way. I guess I'll get a higher PSU.
  4. ddan49 said:
    Ooooo... Japanese construction :love: . You have me intrigued! I think it comes out to less than the Antec I had, with rebate and the promo code (which I won't be able to use. I'm buying in like late April). I have been told to be wary of "green" PSUs. Is the bronze rating on this similar?

    Thanks, by the way. I guess I'll get a higher PSU.

    Not enough, for long term stable system. I would not go lower than 600W


    Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M 620W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

    $89.99 -> $69.99 after mail-in rebate

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059
  5. 550 watts is plenty, but there are higher wattage options in the same price range.
    $4 more upfront
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
  6. Okay, so I'm probably going to get the MSI GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr OC... which, under load and overclocked, eats up an amazing 461 Watts overclocked! I saw the i5-2500k would eat up about 50W, so we're up to 500 already. I will probably go with a 650W PSU. Any others you would recommend? I have an SSD, as well.
  7. ddan49 said:
    Okay, so I'm probably going to get the MSI GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr OC... which, under load and overclocked, eats up an amazing 461 Watts overclocked! I saw the i5-2500k would eat up about 50W, so we're up to 500 already. I will probably go with a 650W PSU. Any others you would recommend? I have an SSD, as well.

    The numbers you are coming up with are for total system power, not just the card.
    The card, with an overclock, can pull up to 230 watts
    http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/nvidia_geforce_gtx_560_ti_msi_n560ti_twin_frozr_2/index17.php
  8. Ah. Didn't see that. For anyone else, it's right here:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_gtx560_twinfrozr_2/15.htm

    So... in that case.... Maybe I'll look for a 600 watt? I'm taking into account degradation and the 80% average efficiency.
  9. ddan49 said:
    So... in that case.... Maybe I'll look for a 600 watt? I'm taking into account degradation and the 80% average efficiency.

    Yep. That's why I recommended the corsair 650 watt. Just to give a little breathing room.
  10. nikorr said:
    Not enough, for long term stable system. I would not go lower than 600W


    Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M 620W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

    $89.99 -> $69.99 after mail-in rebate

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-371-059-Z01?$S300W$

    I would get the non modular over this.
  11. Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w silent, hybrid modular, and tested up to 790w. Runs a 5970 and i5 2500k no problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Overclocking Components Product