Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012
Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Core2Duo 6550? 2.33ghz
Corsair XMS2 4Gb RAM
EVGA 560ti
320gb generic HDD
800W Thermaltake

I recently had issues with my desktop shutting off randomly during regular use. i.e. Games, internet, movies. At first, I dismissed these signs as just my power supply being sensitive to over voltages or 'some unknown force' cutting power in order to protect the components. Then after a week of this I turn my computer on in the morning and play a game, my PC then shuts off mid game, I go boot again and computer lights up and I await that 'oh so familiar' BIOS beep. My computer does not beep. And nothing shows up on my screen even after 10 minutes.

I unplug power cable then plug it back in and try again. Still doesn't beep. AKA does not load the BIOS at all. I try to take the diode battery out (that resets the CMOS/BIOS or something) and put it back in after a couple of minutes and try to boot again, does not work again.

The RAM is brand new and is not the issue. The VGA is not the issue, switched it out with another one. The HDD is not the issue it spins up and it would still boot the BIOS. Power supply works, ALL the lights and ALL the fans run. It was not temperature related, and it hasn't booted up the BIOS at all for about a couple weeks.

I am trying to figure out if it is the CPU or the Motherboard. Can anyone help or direct me? I am capable with handling hardware. I have no way of getting another motherboard or CPU to switch out.

Solution
As others have said, it is most likely the MB. If it was the cpu, at least the bios would be able to throw up an error message or emit error beeps.
Hi :)

Two thoughts....that NEW ram...did the problem start occurring AFTER you fitted it ??? Just because its new doesnt mean it cant be faulty....

Also disconnect the hard drive physically to see if it boots to bios...

You cannot make assumptions like its NOT the hard drive....unless you have done what I said...

Lastly ...IF its the mobo or cpu...its MUCH more likely to be the mobo...

All the best Brett :)

jared030858

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012

Yes, the problems happened after I installed it, but months afterward. I also tried the old RAM that I had used previously and that did not work either.

I just disconnected the HDD as you said, and powered up, but it still did not boot.

I was thinking it would be the motherboard, because its not loading the BIOS. Was looking for other opinions as to what it could be before I go and buy a motherboard and possibly have it be the CPU that was the problem. Thanks a ton! =D

jared030858

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2012

Thank you, those were my thoughts exactly. I was thinking the MB would at least make its 3 beep hardware failure.

popatim

Titan

I'm afraid you're wrong here. The motherboard cant do anything on its own. No Bios, No Beep codes, You might get some voltage indicators if your motherboard has those but thats it.

TRENDING THREADS