Used to start, but not anymore

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello, everyone i hope one of you can help me with this, im building my first PC and i got it to run, however there was no display for post once everything was hooked up (i connected the monitor to the connector built into the motherboard for integrated graphics, instead of my 660ti, which i had plugged in) so i turned it back off and removed the 660 and tried again, but it wouldn't turn on now, i've checked all my connections, thinking i might have unplugged the power button on accident when removing the 660, but to no avail, i doubt it would be the power supply because it was working at one point (like 2 min before i removed the 660), and i tried the processor in another computer and it worked, i also tried starting it up without RAM, HDD, Optical drive, but still no boot. i reset CMOS and also tried but still nothing, i also breadboarded it outside the case with bare minimum but nothing, im thinking somehow the mobo died when i unplugged the 660, although i don't see how the mobo could have died, i made sure there was no power running to it when i unplugged the 660, i also grounded myself as a precaution just in case. I don't think i can send it back because the board im currently using is already a replacement (original one was damaged during shipping).
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 ADV.
GPU: EVGA SC 660ti
CPU: i7 quad core @ 3.8Ghz
Mobo: ASUS P8B75-V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.
RAM: 2x 4gb kingston

If I understand correctly, you initially started the computer with the EVGA SC 660ti?. that must have set it up in the BIOS.. but you have already reset the BIOS... so it depends on the time you allowed it to reset... I'd suggest you again reset the BIOS allowing at least 10 minutes without the battery, and during those 10 minutes > remove the AC power cord from the PSU, > press the power button and hold it in for at least 30 seconds to discharge all power from capacitors, > put the graphics card back on, > connect the monitor to the 660Ti card, > check all the PSU connections particularly the 24 pin mobo connector (make sure it snaps in place), > install the BIOS battery, > and hit the power button..

If it doesn't have display during the boot process, wait long enough for it to get at least to the logon screen (without display) > and switch the monitor to the integrated graphics. You should have display in either graphics switching the monitor between them while the computer is running. Another option is to; right after pressing the power button, press the BIOS access key, ans while the BIOS screen should be on display, switch the monitor from card to card... It should have display in either one cause I don't think you damaged your motherboard.

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

ok thanks for the reply, the thing is on my motherboard they is a Memory reset button that resets it to factory settings (asus says thats there incase i overclock and it prevents my computer from starting, i can hit that button and it would reset) and thats the button i hit, also the front panel lights on my case aren't on either, shouldn't those at least be on even if there is no boot? I also have no clue how to remove the bios battery on my motherboard. also i found out how to remove my bios battery and im counting the 10 min now, only problem is that the bios battery is seated right below the expansion slot for my GPU so it has to go in first, unless i use the other expansion slot, would i be able to use the other slot?

update: i tried what you said and it still didn't turn on.

I don't think that button would cause the problem unless it's a two way button and it's in the off position, have you hit it again? I would try that next.
The front panel leds are supposed to indicate activity, so they should be on if everything is powerd on: PSU fan, mobo led on, hard drive running, processor cooler & other fans spinning. If none of that is running, only the PSU, it is the probable culprit, but double check the PSU connections mainly the mobo 24 pin and processor connectors.

If the BIOS batter is flat on the mobo, pry it off with a pin, needle, small wire, toot pick, etc. if it's standing up, pull\push away the curved tang and lift the battery off. The BIOS jumper can also be used to reset it... but removing the battery for 10 minutes is more reliable.

TK52

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I'm having the same issue as op .... the only difference is that I have 550 ti .
however, I tried what you said but nothing happen :/ any more ideas

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I removed the battery for 10 min, but that didn't do anything it still doesn't power on. the switch i was talking about isn;t two way. and nothing that starts up, there is a green led on the motherboard that is lit up when i have the PSU plugged in though, but thats as far as it goes, no sounds or anything. I have a friend who builds computers all the time, but he is out of state, so he should be able to fix it if i can't, when he gets back, but if i can get it done this weekend it would be awesome, because i still have to install windows/updated drivers/ AV programs/ and all my files i have backed up on my external hard drive and we all know how long that takes. But im gonna try removing it for another 10 min, and also unplug everything and replug, if that still doesn't work should i try reseating everything? CPU, MOBO, battery? Ugh these problems are killing me, i want to get back to playing chivalry MW sometime.

The only things that could be causing the problem are the Power Supply or the BIOS settings.

I would suggest you exchange the PSU with the other computer. With the borrowed PSU you'd be testing the motherboard as well, and the PSU on the other computer.

If the other PSU is known to be in good condition and still nothing, a complete disassemble including removing the BIOS battery and pressing the power button for 30 seconds before removing the motherboard is the last advice in my bag of tricks.

Many times that does the trick and the actual cause is never known but I suspect the BIOS gets confused with all the devices getting connected, disconnected and back on again... we can move components on and out and wires on and off, during a build because we may want everything in the right order, and meanwhile the BIOS is powered on with the battery and getting confused... so the best chance to avoid creating problems is removing the BIOS battery before beggining the build and only install it after everything is connected and ready to go, right before powering the system on.

So my best advice at this point providing the PSU is in good condition and tested with a multimeter, is to disassemble everything, including doing the battery and power button trick, and leave everything be for a few hours (overnight would be better if patience allows), so there's a better chance all remaining power from mobo caps and components is lost and everything cools down... including our heads.

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

ok thanks ill just remove everything from the case, unplug the cmos battery and ill go ahead and put a weight on the powerbutton to keep it help down and leave it like that over night and try again in the morning.

LOL... the power button thing doesn't have to be longer than a minute, the overnight idea is to give it the best chance for the residual electricity retained in electronic components to dissipate completely... but I did say a few hours also... so the waiting time it's really up to you.

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

i tried it over night and still nothing

Where did you buy your hardware, which company did the shipping?...
I'm thinking either one of them may: be selling bad hardware, or misshandling the merchandise... or it may be something as simple as you not sticking strictly to the motherboard instructions. Have you double checked the Front Panel connections to the motherboard header? have you tried jumping the power button pins on the motherboard?

kingjc100

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Actually i took it up a local computer repair store, and we got it running. all it apparently was, was that i was putting to many board pegs in the case and motherboard was making contact with them and grounding out, so we removed the extra ones and i don't have any problems. Amazing how something so small can cause such a great deal of stress.

Yeah, that will do it... it's normally 8 pegs/standoffs for ATX and 6 for MATX.. just count the motherboard's holes and that's the number to use... one per mobo hole. Some cases have more but the motherboard is the guide to follow.