Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2500K with SSD *OR* 2700K with 7200 rpm HDD?

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2012 1:36:16 AM

I am planning a build soon on a new gaming system. My question is, which setup below would give me more Bang for the buck;

a 64G SSD set up to use Intel's Rapid Storage Technology
7200 rpm HDD

OR

7200 rpm HDD.
NO SSD

SO, I the difference is basically 64G SSD vs Hyperthreading I guess....

Both set-ups price the same, just wondering which way to go.

Or do I wait for Ivy? Hmmm

Sorry for the first few edits, brain is old technology.

Thanks in Advance....
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 1:54:22 AM

2500k with SSD. The 2500k is the CPU of choice for gaming (since hyperthreading isn't really any advantage to gaming) and an SSD, well, because they're so damn fast!

Best solution

a c 123 à CPUs
March 21, 2012 1:56:11 AM

Since you state a gaming system, go for the 2500K with the SSD as the OS drive and the HDD as the data drive.

2700K is only useful if you are doing other non-gaming tasks like media encoding etc.

I have a 2500K, SSD and two HDDs in a RAID0 and its a pretty awesome gaming machine.
Related resources
March 21, 2012 1:56:17 AM

If by soon, you mean in the next month or two, then wait to see how the i5-3570K stacks up against the 2500K. You don't need the hyperthreading of the i7 if you are just gaming, I think only a small minority of games even are able to use 3-4 cores right now. As for the usefulness of an SSD? I don't know, beyond faster boot-up and load times, I don't know if games actually run faster on an SSD as opposed to a conventional HDD.

Edit - What they ^ said about SSD's.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 6:58:39 AM

i5-2500K and an SSD, for the above reasons.

A 64GB SSD may be a bit small for an OS drive by the time you install service packs and other programs...90GB is a good size to shoot for.
March 21, 2012 7:51:34 AM

I made a mistake in my original post that I didn't correct. I mixed up RST (Rapid Storage Technology with SRT (SMart Response Technology).

I AM really leaning towards the 2500K and the 64G SSD because it looks like the SSD used as a cache with SRT, will more than make up for any gains a 2700K has over a 2500K.

SO, I think that putting that $$$ towards SRT is going to give me a better gain.

Does that make sense?
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 9:37:15 AM

2500k + SSD for cache isn't that good.
It's better to go for 2500k + SSD for OS.

Can't remember where I read the article, but I do remember that you get more performance doind the second option.
March 21, 2012 12:24:53 PM

I just don't trust SSD'S enough for anything but cache.

The SSD I am looking at for the SRT Cache is $109.00 The cost of the 2700K over the 2500K is basically the same cost.

I am just trying to determine if putting the money towards the SSD/SRT is going to give me the better performance boost. My thinking is that it will, and that's the way to go, I am just wondering wrong, or if I am missing something.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 12:55:09 PM

ChicksHateMe said:
I just don't trust SSD'S enough for anything but cache.

The SSD I am looking at for the SRT Cache is $109.00 The cost of the 2700K over the 2500K is basically the same cost.

I am just trying to determine if putting the money towards the SSD/SRT is going to give me the better performance boost. My thinking is that it will, and that's the way to go, I am just wondering wrong, or if I am missing something.

Don't trust SSDs? Why might I ask? Are you placing your decision on old outdated information and hear say?
There is no reason not to trust them, no more than you would fail to trust any other component in your system. Honestly.

When I read your post, my first reaction was "Why would anyone base a processor decision on whether they want an SSD or a regular hard drive?" You want an SSD at least for your OS, hands down no matter what else you do. Period. Your line of thinking is not based on sound or accurate information. Buying an SSD and using it for cache? Its a complete waste when you can load up with 16gig of memory.

Really, at least buy an SSD and use it for your OS with a good fast mechanical drive for storage and programs, or a buy a larger SSD and load your OS, and the few programs, games, apps you use the most on it, and still get a second mechanical drive just for storage......this is what you want to do, trust us.
a c 93 à CPUs
March 21, 2012 12:57:31 PM

If now, 2500K + 128GB SSD O/S + 1TB Samsung 7200RPM HDD

The Future i5-3570K + 128GB SSD O/S + 1TB Samsung 7200RPM HDD
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 4:00:22 PM

I had my hesitations about getting an SSD. But I pulled the trigger on a samsung 830 since I've heard nothing but good things about it. Less than 30min after physically installing and doing last minute google checkups, Win7 and important programs we're up and running. Best purchase I've made for my computer. Now using my HDD as my data drive. Just my experiences, so I would suggest what others have stated 2500k+SSD. Cheers and good luck.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 5:29:15 PM

First, a 64GB SSD is damn near useless and instead I won't get anything small than a 120GB SSD, and IMO never use an SSD as a Cache to the HDD unless you purchase one that is over-provisioned (a good (provisioned) 64GB SSD cost as much as a 120GB SSD). The Caching writes the crap out of an SSD and thereby vastly reduces its' lifespan.

The i5-2500K keeps up with most, not all, games and since none of the SB/IB/SB-E will bottleneck your GPU(s) then IMO use the savings for either a better GPU(s) or the SSD.

I totally recommend an SSD on any new system (OS, Apps, Working Data), but in 'Gaming alone' other than load times does only a little to improve gaming vs for the cost of an SSD to be used for a 'better' GPU which will clearly improve performance (FPS).

edit/BTW here's a 'Preview Review of the IB vs SB vs SB-E - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329828-28-bridge-cpus...
March 21, 2012 5:35:28 PM

ohyouknow said:
I had my hesitations about getting an SSD. But I pulled the trigger on a samsung 830 since I've heard nothing but good things about it. Less than 30min after physically installing and doing last minute google checkups, Win7 and important programs we're up and running. Best purchase I've made for my computer. Now using my HDD as my data drive. Just my experiences, so I would suggest what others have stated 2500k+SSD. Cheers and good luck.

Certainly chose a nice SSD to pull the trigger on.
March 21, 2012 9:54:29 PM

Best answer selected by ChicksHateMe.
March 22, 2012 5:38:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I decided to buy now and here's the set-up I decided on.

ASROCK Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Intel i5 2500K
8G Sniper 1.25v 1600
Samsung 64G 830 SSD

** Parts I had **
PowerColor - HD 6950
(2) 500G, 7200 rpm HDD
42" Monitor (adding 2 more for Eyefinity setup)
The rest of the stuff....

I am going to build it 3 times, just to see how it tests out.

1st. I am just going to build it without the SSD (RAID 1).

2nd. I am going to add the SSD using it as cache via SRT.

3rd. I am going to Use Norton Ghost to move the OS and some programs to the SSD so that it acts like the Main/Boot Drive.

I have my mind set on configuration 2 though. I really think that I will like the SSD as a cache to my HDD with EVERYTHING ON IT, so no matter how many things I have on the system or how many programs I run, or how big my STORAGE is, I will get the improvement of the Cache and I don't have to worry about managing space and where I put things. One and Done.

Yes, I don't trust SSD's for storage. I don't trust hard drive over 500G. I also don't trust BluRay for storage. It's not hearsay, It just from what I've experienced. Maybe I'm just not lucky, but I haven't lost a thing yet either. *Knocks on Wood*.

To me, the best balance of speed and safety is a simple Raid 1 and SRT, with an external drive to Backup to as well. That's what I am planning for. TO each his (or her) own, right?

Thanks again. I get the parts tomorrow and can't wait to build test 1.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 1:21:46 PM

ChicksHateMe said:
Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I decided to buy now and here's the set-up I decided on.

ASROCK Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Intel i5 2500K
8G Sniper 1.25v 1600
Samsung 64G 830 SSD

** Parts I had **
PowerColor - HD 6950
(2) 500G, 7200 rpm HDD
42" Monitor (adding 2 more for Eyefinity setup)
The rest of the stuff....

I am going to build it 3 times, just to see how it tests out.

1st. I am just going to build it without the SSD (RAID 1).

2nd. I am going to add the SSD using it as cache via SRT.

3rd. I am going to Use Norton Ghost to move the OS and some programs to the SSD so that it acts like the Main/Boot Drive.

I have my mind set on configuration 2 though. I really think that I will like the SSD as a cache to my HDD with EVERYTHING ON IT, so no matter how many things I have on the system or how many programs I run, or how big my STORAGE is, I will get the improvement of the Cache and I don't have to worry about managing space and where I put things. One and Done.

Yes, I don't trust SSD's for storage. I don't trust hard drive over 500G. I also don't trust BluRay for storage. It's not hearsay, It just from what I've experienced. Maybe I'm just not lucky, but I haven't lost a thing yet either. *Knocks on Wood*.

To me, the best balance of speed and safety is a simple Raid 1 and SRT, with an external drive to Backup to as well. That's what I am planning for. TO each his (or her) own, right?

Thanks again. I get the parts tomorrow and can't wait to build test 1.

Don't Ghost an image of your operating system that has first been installed to regular drive to an SSD.
The OS makes significant changes to many settings that enhance the performance of the SSD and helps extend the life of the SSD during install process. None of these settings will be correct and your SSD will get terrible performance and maybe even damage the life of it if you Ghost or clone a pre installed mechanical drive setup to it.
You have gotten some very good advice here, apparently you have no experience with an SSD by your own comments, and you are failing to listen to people who do have experience. Believe us, SSD for your OS, secondary drive for everything else, or a larger SSD with the most used apps and programs on it as well as the OS. Your PC performance will simply be amazing, far, far, far exceeding anything you would ever get or expect out of any RAID system, caching nonsense, or pretty much anything you can get out of a mechanical drive, or drives, there is simply no comparison.
!