Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do I need 16gb of RAM?

Last response: in Memory
January 26, 2013 5:43:17 PM

Hey everyone

Just wondering if I really need 16gb of RAM for my computer, all I will be doing is using it for gaming basically or is it better to use the extra money on a better GPU or other component. Would be getting gskills 1600mhz ram

More about : 16gb ram

Best solution

January 26, 2013 5:45:14 PM

do not get 16 gigs if your only gaming, use that money for something else. like a graphics card
January 26, 2013 5:47:07 PM

8gb is overkill for a gaming rig that's why its recommended over 16 most games don't use more than 4,so 8 is the sweet spot right now.Invest the money into a better graphics card.
Related resources
January 26, 2013 5:48:06 PM

resin34 said:
do not get 16 gigs if your only gaming, use that money for something else. like a graphics card

Ok thanks, I'll probably use the money to get a SSD because everyone says they are the best upgrade to make. I can always add more RAM later too if I really need to :D 
January 27, 2013 5:59:54 AM

I don't know how much longer 8gb will be over kill for....check out the specs for Crysis 3. This is for what they call the "performance machine requirements", so you don't NEED this....but how else do you want to play a game if you can?

"Hi-performance system requirements for PC
Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 •
Latest DirectX 11 graphics card •
Latest quad core CPU
8GB Memory
Nvidia/Intel example setup: NVidia GTX 680, Intel Core i7-2600k
AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD7970, AMD Bulldozer FX4150"

Thats heavy duty...and only a couple months from now.

I have 16GB on win 7 and I'd hate to think that if I only had 8GB I'd have to play the "juggle my resources" game.

At the very least you might want to start thinking about it...
!