Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this build a good value build for $1400?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 15, 2011 4:56:27 PM

Guys, I've been doing extensive research on which components to pick for my new rig and this is what I figured out would be the most 'feasible' build, according to the components available here in India. Sadly,we don't have any ASRock Z68 here yet (I was a bit shocked to know that!) but, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte have build up a good service network, so while suggesting changes kindly keep that in mind.

The 1400$ is roughly the sum on the basis of the price charts here in India.

Purpose: Mainly, Gaming.


Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65(G3)

GPU: MSI GTX560TI HAWK (OC to 950MHz w/ Twin Frozr III) 1GB

CPU: Intel i5 2500k (Please advise if Phenom X6 1100T is a better choice, of course the best available motherboard too then.)

PSU: OCZ ZT 750W

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

HDD: Seagate 7200 rpm Barracuda 1TB

SSD: OCZ Agility SATA 3 60GB

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

CD/DVD Drive: LG GH22N70 DVD/CD RW Combo

RAM: 2 x Ripjaws X 1600 4GB

More about : build good build 1400

December 15, 2011 5:06:28 PM

Wow, my system is almost exactly like yours but i got a HAF 922 instead,

Anyway, that setup will run perfectly fine for anything you do, i would maybe change the PSU to a 800w one for SLI later but if you don't plan to SLI you could save some money by going on a nice quality 600w - 650w PSU

Also, i5 2500k will run circles around a X6 1100T, especially when overclocked.

Just my 2 cents.
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:09:40 PM

xferzer said:
Also, i5 2500k will run circles around a X6 1100T, especially when overclocked.


Haha, I certainly am aware of that, but, does that make that much of a difference while gaming? BTW, thanks for the tip on the PSU, I've been thinking the same but, since I will be overclocking, wouldn't I need a slightly higher wattage PSU?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 15, 2011 5:10:59 PM

CPU - The AMD X6 will NOT be a better choice. Stick with Intel...

MEM - Don't see any listed. Any DDR3-1600 CL9 modules @ 1.5v in pairs will be fine.

MB - That MSI is fine, but look at your choices from ASUS or GIGABYTE that keep your CF / SLI options open with two high speed PCIe slots (16x/16x or 8x/8x).

PSU - For quality units look toward Antec, Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. 650w is plenty for a single GTX 560ti. Upgrade that to 850w if you are considering adding a second GTX 560ti in SLI.
Share
December 15, 2011 5:20:36 PM

sadams04 said:
MEM - Don't see any listed. Any DDR3-1600 CL9 modules @ 1.5v in pairs will be fine.


Thanks for pointing that out, it's listed now, I'm using 1600 Ripjaws 4GB x2 ie. net 8GB of RAM

BTW, could you point out some specific boards meeting that standard?
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 5:21:04 PM

sadams04 said:
CPU - The AMD X6 will NOT be a better choice. Stick with Intel...

MEM - Don't see any listed. Any DDR3-1600 CL9 modules @ 1.5v in pairs will be fine.

MB - That MSI is fine, but look at your choices from ASUS or GIGABYTE that keep your CF / SLI options open with two high speed PCIe slots (16x/16x or 8x/8x).

PSU - For quality units look toward Antec, Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. 650w is plenty for a single GTX 560ti. Upgrade that to 850w if you are considering adding a second GTX 560ti in SLI.


The MSI-Z68A GD65 (G3) can do SLI/CF at 8x/8x just fine,

I would recommend these low profile memory because the Hyper 212 plus covers the first DIMM Slot on that motherboard, i have the normal corsair vengeance with tall heatsinks, and had to move them on to dimm2 and dimm4, doesn't do any performance hit but MSI recommends to use dimm1 and dimm3.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also a little comparison between the 1100t and 2500k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288
m
0
l
December 16, 2011 5:43:14 PM

Best answer selected by chiragddude.
m
0
l
!