Question About 6950 vs 560ti for Witcher 2 and Possible Multi Monitors

dreamwork

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hello members,

I am planning a full, new system build in the next month or two. I am really excited since I haven't updated my computer since 2006 (AMD 939 and a 7800GTX).

That being said, I am debating between purchasing an AMD 6950 (1 or 2gb ram) and a GTX 560ti.

I am currently using a large format display that is 32" and allows resolutions of up to 1360x768, but I am really interested in higher resolutions and I will definitely be purchasing a new 23" monitor that will run 1920x1080.

I am also planning on being able to use more than one monitor (not to game on more than one monitor, but to multitask other programs on one monitor and have a game running on the other). This leads me to a dilemma-->is there any negative consequence to running two monitors that are different sizes and different resolutions? Also, I have heard that when using multiple monitors, getting an extra gb of ram on the video card is important. However, I didn't know if that was in reference to running a game on all of the monitors (e.g. Eyefinity) as opposed to running it on one monitor and using the remaining monitor for other tasks.

Also to consider: I may want to purchase another card in the future to run SLI or Crossfire. If this is the case, will I be better off with a 2gb version?

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Either card will work quite well at 1080p resolution. More than 1GB of RAM is only really useful right now if you are actually going to play the game across multiple screens (eyefinity/nvidia surround). If you are only running 2D applications like your web browser on the second display, you don't need more than 1GB. If you are looking to be a little bit more futureproof, you might want to get the 2GB version, but right now under virtually all cicrumstances the GPU on either card will run out of steam before you get to the point where you need more than 1GB.

I don't have any experience with HP monitors, so I can't help you there.
Either card will work quite well at 1080p resolution. More than 1GB of RAM is only really useful right now if you are actually going to play the game across multiple screens (eyefinity/nvidia surround). If you are only running 2D applications like your web browser on the second display, you don't need more than 1GB. If you are looking to be a little bit more futureproof, you might want to get the 2GB version, but right now under virtually all cicrumstances the GPU on either card will run out of steam before you get to the point where you need more than 1GB.

I don't have any experience with HP monitors, so I can't help you there.

Solution

dreamwork

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely go after a 1GB video card now, since a lot of 1GB cards actually perform better than their 2GB counterparts as long as the video card memory isn't the bottleneck.