Solved

Need Advice Should I Upgrade?

I am in Afghanistan with the Army and I am coming home in a few months so I was wanting to know if its a waste of money for me to buy a new computer. I will be playing BF3 and SWTOR and want to play on Max settings with all the eye candy. I play on a ASUS VH242H 23.6" monitor at 1920x1080. I have the new build all picked out except the GPU, I have been reading around the past day and cant make up my mind. I don't really have a budget but I don't want to waste money on overkill.

Current System:
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922
MoBo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 5870 1GB
PSU: CORSAIR 750TX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H50
HD: WD VelociRaptor 150GB

The New Build:
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X
MoBo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67
GPU: Undecided and need help!
PSU: CORSAIR AX850
CPU: i5-2500K
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H80
HD: 2x Corsair GT 120GB SSD (Raid 0)
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need advice upgrade
  1. Best answer
    Actually, your current rig is pretty darn capable. If I were you, I would recommend you wait a few months to see how the new Intel and AMD CPUs actually pan out.

Just a thought, my fellow soldier. HOOAH and be safe!!!
  2. The EVGA GeForce GTX 580 will give you the performance you require. Either of these cards will serve you well but Evga's comes with a lifetime warranty and the Asus card only has a 3 year warranty. Both are the same price. Also the Asus requires 3 slots where as the Evga only occupies 2 slots.

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121429

EVGA GeForce GTX 580
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130587
  3. If you want to run BF3 on max settings, then there's really no such thing as overkill unless you go SLI/Crossfire. Get an nVidia GTX 580 or a Radeon 6970.
  4. Best answer selected by Tastemaker.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product