Solved

Shared network printer issue

Hi guys,
Sorry if I'm posting to a wrong section. Here's the problem.
My printer Lexmark Z22-Z32 is shared and directly connected to my desktop pc which is xp pro.
My laptop is Windows 7 and when I tried to print something from my laptop using the shared printer I saw printer spooled the file and disappeared. No printing happens. I saw the spooling both in my laptop and desktop printer work queue window.
I'm able to print from my desktop though. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ehdi
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shared network printer issue
  1. Check your Laptop Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
    Is the printer shown under "Printers and Faxes"?
  2. Gandalf said:
    Check your Laptop Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
    Is the printer shown under "Printers and Faxes"?

Yes; it appears under "Printers and Faxes".
  3. Best answer
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The printer that you have is good for Win XP, but maybe don't support Win 7. When you use a shared printer, the printer needs install the driver on all PCs that use this printer, so, if the PC that have conected the printer don't have the Win 7 driver for the printer maybe you can't print from Win 7 on the printer.
  4. You may have setup your Windows 7 printer access as a network printer.
    Suggest you delete the Laptop's printer under "Printers and Faxes" and use the Printer Wizard again but this time select local printer (that's right - LOCAL printer).

As for the "saints" comment, for what it's worth, my Win7 PC is printing via a Vista print server, but I didn't have to modify the Vista driver. Does that mean there is a printing compatibility issue between Windows 7 and XP? I do not know.
  5. ^Win Vista and Win 7 sometimes have the same drivers for printers and other components.
  6. thanks guys and I'll try installing the printer driver on the 7 machine; but only thing is my printer is an old one and wonder it even has supporting driver.
  7. ^No, the lexmark's web site don't have the Win 7 driver for your printer.
  8. Best answer selected by shocker74.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Desktops Printers Windows 7