Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Shared network printer issue

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2010 3:28:48 PM

Hi guys,
Sorry if I'm posting to a wrong section. Here's the problem.
My printer Lexmark Z22-Z32 is shared and directly connected to my desktop pc which is xp pro.
My laptop is Windows 7 and when I tried to print something from my laptop using the shared printer I saw printer spooled the file and disappeared. No printing happens. I saw the spooling both in my laptop and desktop printer work queue window.
I'm able to print from my desktop though. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ehdi
a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2010 11:17:02 AM

Check your Laptop Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
Is the printer shown under "Printers and Faxes"?
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:34:59 PM

Gandalf said:
Check your Laptop Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
Is the printer shown under "Printers and Faxes"?

Yes; it appears under "Printers and Faxes".
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 12:16:07 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The printer that you have is good for Win XP, but maybe don't support Win 7. When you use a shared printer, the printer needs install the driver on all PCs that use this printer, so, if the PC that have conected the printer don't have the Win 7 driver for the printer maybe you can't print from Win 7 on the printer.
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 12:59:57 AM

You may have setup your Windows 7 printer access as a network printer.
Suggest you delete the Laptop's printer under "Printers and Faxes" and use the Printer Wizard again but this time select local printer (that's right - LOCAL printer).

As for the "saints" comment, for what it's worth, my Win7 PC is printing via a Vista print server, but I didn't have to modify the Vista driver. Does that mean there is a printing compatibility issue between Windows 7 and XP? I do not know.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 12, 2010 11:59:02 AM

^Win Vista and Win 7 sometimes have the same drivers for printers and other components.
m
l
January 13, 2010 12:05:21 AM

thanks guys and I'll try installing the printer driver on the 7 machine; but only thing is my printer is an old one and wonder it even has supporting driver.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 13, 2010 12:08:53 AM

^No, the lexmark's web site don't have the Win 7 driver for your printer.
m
l
January 22, 2010 11:33:31 PM

Best answer selected by shocker74.
m
l
!