Closed

Installed memory 8 gb (2 99 gb usable)

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
January 26, 2013 9:45:27 PM

I purchased Windows 7 during the prelaunch and received both the 32-bit & 64-bit upgrade software; I took forever to install it and recently about two months ago installed a new solid-state drive and 8 GB of RAM memory on a new MB running a eight core 3.1 GHz processor. Imagine my surprise when I realized I am only using 2.99 GB of RAM. I read on this forum I have to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Windows 7 to fully utilize the RAM memory available; my question is does it have to be a full complete "clean" install or can I just insert 64 bit CD and not lose all of my programs and settings? It's taken me about three months to get everything just the way I like it, I would hate to have to start over...

More about : installed memory usable

a b } Memory
January 27, 2013 6:06:27 AM

You have to clean install as you are moving from 32 to 64 bit. Also make sure that you have the right version of windows 64bit. 7 home premium allows users to install ram upto 8gB, 7 professional upto 16gB and I think there is no limit for the 7 ultimate version.
Score
January 27, 2013 4:25:17 PM

I have Windows 7 professional; thanks for the great news you made my day...

For anyone who might be running Win 7 in 64 bit version; for slightly heavier office applications does the benefit of the upgrade outweigh the hassle? Is it really worth it to go to 64 and eight gigs of RAM?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
January 27, 2013 4:40:17 PM

It sure is. These days you atleast need 8gB of ram? Also 64bit OS is much faster than 32bit OS.
February 7, 2013 7:59:44 PM

Best answer selected by randypandy.
Score
!